Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPA Ireland Membership - Recognised in Canada?

Options
  • 01-07-2013 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

I'm recently qualified and may be moving to Canada for a few years.

Anyone know if CPA are recognised by most employers in Canada?

I see from their website that CPA have a mutual recognition with CPA Canada
    http://www.cpaireland.ie/displaycontent.aspx?groupid=96&headerid=1388

But there a lots of hoops to go through. Mostly money making.

Would I have to go through this process or would employers settle for seeing I'm qualified CPA, reagrdless of where I got that qualification?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

It depends, do you want to work in industry or practice?

If industry you could say you are CPA with a mutual recognition from...

If practice you'd most likely come up against more obstacles.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

smcgiff wrote: »
    It depends, do you want to work in industry or practice?

If industry you could say you are CPA with a mutual recognition from...

If practice you'd most likely come up against more obstacles.

By obstacles, do you mean those in practice would want to see proof of recognition, or do you mean something else?

I note that as of 2013 CPA are the new banner designation in Canada
    http://www.cica.ca/about-cica/media-centre/media-releases-and-backgrounders/2013/item73691.aspx
    CPA Canada was established earlier this year with the unification of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants (CICA) and The Society of Management Accountants of Canada (CMA Canada). The national organization supports provincial accounting bodies that have unified, and all those that will unify, under the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) banner.

and
    Accounting bodies representing 85 per cent of Canada’s professional accountants are committed to unification or have already merged under the CPA banner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Looks like they are copying their southern cousins. You're just as likely to be called a CPA in the US as accountant. Bit like Hoover for Vacuum cleaner.

Interesting that the Canadians kept the Chartered reference for their C as opposed to the US where it stands for certified.

But, unless you progress to the Canadian CPA I'd imagine you'd be treated as a part qualified. Just my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,235 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm recently qualified and may be moving to Canada for a few years.

Anyone know if CPA are recognised by most employers in Canada?

I see from their website that CPA have a mutual recognition with CPA Canada
    http://www.cpaireland.ie/displaycontent.aspx?groupid=96&headerid=1388

But there a lots of hoops to go through. Mostly money making.

Would I have to go through this process or would employers settle for seeing I'm qualified CPA, reagrdless of where I got that qualification?

You might want to reread the article you referenced to; it refers to mutual recognition with "Certified General Accountants" in CAnada designated as CGA not CPA. If the newly formed CPA Canada claims 85% of the qualified accountants in Ireland, I guess the CGA is very much a marginal group, much like CPA in Ireland. Remember also that Canadian GAAP is still very much alive for private companies unless they elect into IFRS. Ultimately, once you are qualified as a "financial accountant", it's much more your work experience and references which are going to define your marketability rather than any specific designation.

Marcusm wrote: »
    You might want to reread the article you referenced to; it refers to mutual recognition with "Certified General Accountants" in CAnada designated as CGA not CPA. If the newly formed CPA Canada claims 85% of the qualified accountants in Ireland, I guess the CGA is very much a marginal group, much like CPA in Ireland. Remember also that Canadian GAAP is still very much alive for private companies unless they elect into IFRS. Ultimately, once you are qualified as a "financial accountant", it's much more your work experience and references which are going to define your marketability rather than any specific designation.

Cheers for the reply.

Yes, the mutual recognition is with CGA. I'm not sure how big CGA were in Canada when this agreement was signed. Apparently there are around 30 different accountancy bodies in Canada due to each big region having it's own affiliations.

However, this new Canada wide CPA designation will have over 85% off all qualified accoutants under one banner, inc. former CGA members.

Therefore, I'm not sure how relevant this current mutual recognition will continue to be. CPA Ireland will instead be required to have a new agreement with CPA Canada, come 2014 or so.

I do take your point that it's my experience which should get me a job, rather than paying a heap of cash for a stamp to say I'm recognised over in Canada...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Ted410

Cheers for the reply.

Yes, the mutual recognition is with CGA. I'm not sure how big CGA were in Canada when this agreement was signed. Apparently there are around 30 different accountancy bodies in Canada due to each big region having it's own affiliations.

However, this new Canada wide CPA designation will have over 85% off all qualified accoutants under one banner, inc. former CGA members.

Therefore, I'm not sure how relevant this current mutual recognition will continue to be. CPA Ireland will instead be required to have a new agreement with CPA Canada, come 2014 or so.

I do take your point that it's my experience which should get me a job, rather than paying a heap of cash for a stamp to say I'm recognised over in Canada...

Hi Mydiscworld,

Just came across your post there. I am in the exact same position as you were. I am a qualified Irish CPA and I want to move to Toronto next year. I would like to move into industry in Canada.

I would greatly appreciate if you share your experience as a Irish CPA in Canada.

Thanks,

Ted410 wrote: »
    Hi Mydiscworld,

Just came across your post there. I am in the exact same position as you were. I am a qualified Irish CPA and I want to move to Toronto next year. I would like to move into industry in Canada.

I would greatly appreciate if you share your experience as a Irish CPA in Canada.

Thanks,

I didn't end up going in the end I got got a promotion back home.

I see CPA Ireland have renewed their agreement with CGA Canada in 2014
    http://www.cpaireland.ie/about-us/cpa-international/international-agreements/cga-canada

It seems CPA Canada, which CGA Canada now falls under, are honoring that agreement but I'd look into it more if going

Advertisement