Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - cant access my PC

Options
  • 01-07-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I downloaded a movie last night (I know, I know) and now there's a "permanent" notice displayed allegedly from An Garda Siochana saying that as I downloaded illegal content etc I have to pay a fine blah de blah and that my PC access is blocked - well that part is correct. Its obviously a virus/trojan or whatever trying to scam money from me.

The problem is its there after I boot the PC and I cant get past it. I tried booting in safe mode but after entering my password it just shut down and restarted again and as such just repeating the process and back to square one.

The OS is windows vista and Im not overly familiar with the technical end of stuff so I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to get rid of this.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

had a quick google,

http://stephensheil.com/GardaBlog.html

Try that I guess you'll probably start with method 3

best of luck with it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Create a bootable USB stick with Kapersky rescue disk on it. You can use www.pendrivelinux.com/Yumi to create the bootable usb and install Kapersky on it.

Boot from the USB. Run the rescue disk, update the database and then do a full scan including the boot sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

crazyderk wrote: »
    had a quick google,

http://stephensheil.com/GardaBlog.html

Try that I guess you'll probably start with method 3

best of luck with it
    Thats the one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,862 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I followed the link posted by crazyderk and I got off the ground using option 2 - booting in safe mode with command prompt. Done the system restore and Im now typing from this PC and Malwarebites is scanning away in the background :)

Thanks a million lads for all the help and advice. Its much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

muffler wrote: »
    I followed the link posted by crazyderk and I got off the ground using option 2 - booting in safe mode with command prompt. Done the system restore and Im now typing from this PC and Malwarebites is scanning away in the background :)

Thanks a million lads for all the help and advice. Its much appreciated.

ah brilliant! delighted you got sorted!

Advertisement