Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water cooling

Options
  • 01-07-2013 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Is it better to buy Coolant or make it yourself?

If its better to buy can anyone recommend a good brand? Or if its easier to make, does anyone have a good way of doing so?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

You can by distilled or deionized water can be used with a biocide to prevent algae.
    Making your own is not really a good idea imo unless your using one of the above with proper dyes.

Mayhems coolants are very popular too.

What colour are you looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_165335_langId_-1_categoryId_212463
    You could buy this and if you want to add color to it just get mayhems dyes to mix with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Distilled water is the best thing you can use. Using deionised water leads to the water taking ions from the metal in the blocks which can lead to corrosion of the blocks.

Using any additives will only reduce the effectiveness of the water. Nothing improves it despite the marketing of some products. I'd only add a silver kill coil to reduce bacteria in the water.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Distilled water is the best thing you can use. Using deionised water leads to the water taking ions from the metal in the blocks which can lead to corrosion of the blocks.

Using any additives will only reduce the effectiveness of the water. Nothing improves it despite the marketing of some products. I'd only add a silver kill coil to reduce bacteria in the water.

As far as i am aware silver coils can deposit ions which also accelerates corrosion with nickel plated blocks.
    I think a lot of block manufacturers now recommend using a pre-mix solution.

That just what i read recently but do your own research as i'm far from an expert on the subject :P :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoo1

game4it70 wrote: »
    As far as i am aware silver coils can deposit ions which also accelerates corrosion with nickel plated blocks.

I've used a number of nickel plated blocks with distilled and kill coils without issue, apart from a couple of EK nickel plated blocks but that was down to the poor quality of EK's plating process imo.
    game4it70 wrote: »
    I think a lot of block manufacturers now recommend using a pre-mix solution.
    They do indeed, unsurprisingly they also recommend their own brand coolants :)

I use laboratory water from the chemist, Chemist thought I was a lunatic when I said it was going in my computer though :D

• Advertisement

eoo1 wrote: »
    I've used a number of nickel plated blocks with distilled and kill coils without issue, apart from a couple of EK nickel plated blocks but that was down to the poor quality of EK's plating process imo.

They do indeed, unsurprisingly they also recommend their own brand coolants :)

I use laboratory water from the chemist, Chemist thought I was a lunatic when I said it was going in my computer though :D

I used a kill coil with a ek nickel block and haven't had any issues either.
    The "corrosion" they talk about is very minor i think and takes a long time to break the nickel down unless it a bad plating process.

I use the same water from the local chemist :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 eoo1

My GTX 480 Blocks were pretty bad and took a relatively short time for the poor plating to show (6 months) But Previous EK blocks I used were grand. EK's plating process seems to be fine now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The looks I've gotten from chemists... They range from mild curiosity, to worry (for my computer or sanity, I'm not certain), right the way to alarm. Priceless.

Advertisement