Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal, rhythmic scratching

Options
  • 01-07-2013 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I will likely regret asking this.

For the past several years now, my sleep has been disturbed regularly by a very distinct, creaking, scratching noise. It always follows a distinct number of beats, and then stops (typically 5 beats), in a manner that reminds me of crickets.

I've nearly convinced myself the noise must be biological in origin, but - though others have remarked on it - no one has ever successfully found what is making the noise or known what it was. It only ever occurs after dark, and I have had the distinct displeasure of finding it in two separate abodes in Galway, and one in Limerick; between these I stayed in Dublin for a year and never noticed the noise once.

Is there some logical explanation to be had? Some incredibly annoying katydid or wood-devouring beetle? There's a vent in my bedroom in the very general direction of the noise which I think may be hiding the culprit but I can't very well pry the thing off the wall. I realise this thread is a) vague and b) likely makes me look a little mad, but I just want whatever it is out. It's nearly 3am, I need to sleep!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

Rats/mice?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Probably a wood boring beetle. Apparently deathwatches are quite noisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Surrealean wrote: »
    I will likely regret asking this.

For the past several years now, my sleep has been disturbed regularly by a very distinct, creaking, scratching noise. It always follows a distinct number of beats, and then stops (typically 5 beats), in a manner that reminds me of crickets.

I've nearly convinced myself the noise must be biological in origin, but - though others have remarked on it - no one has ever successfully found what is making the noise or known what it was. It only ever occurs after dark, and I have had the distinct displeasure of finding it in two separate abodes in Galway, and one in Limerick; between these I stayed in Dublin for a year and never noticed the noise once.

Is there some logical explanation to be had? Some incredibly annoying katydid or wood-devouring beetle? There's a vent in my bedroom in the very general direction of the noise which I think may be hiding the culprit but I can't very well pry the thing off the wall. I realise this thread is a) vague and b) likely makes me look a little mad, but I just want whatever it is out. It's nearly 3am, I need to sleep!

Sound of the death watch beetle

http://www.arkive.org/death-watch-beetle/xestobium-rufovillosum/video-09a.html

Advertisement