Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of this mod?

Options
  • 30-06-2013 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

motobikerack003.jpg
    I'm sure if the insurers caught on to this you'd be paying an even bigger fortune...still, is there any specific law against things of this nature? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

i strongly recommend to the person who did it to visit a mental clinic ASAP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Illeagle

All I'm hearing is go do it, Illeagle....

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Illeagle wrote: »
    All I'm hearing is go do it, Illeagle....

You need to get your hearing checked so.... :rolleyes:

Cant be telling a 16 year old guy on an A1 licence that currently cant afford his own insurance because he's way too lazy that this isn't cool moto-clint1-800x501-521x326.jpg

35240k.jpg

• Advertisement

Is there a difference? This is off topic I'm just here for the legal info

Is there a difference? This is off topic I'm just here for the legal info

Anyone with half a brain knows it's not legal. How on earth could it be??!!

Hmm I'm interested, is there a specific law that deals with carrying goods on motorcycles?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,204 ✭✭✭prunudo

Hmm I'm interested, is there a specific law that deals with carrying goods on motorcycles?

They could probably do you for obstructing the numbers plate and lights for a start.

Loads

Although motorcycles are not really designed to carry goods, small loads can be carried safely if they are properly positioned and fastened.

Keep the load low

Secure loads to the seat or put them in saddlebags or tank bags. Don't put heavy loads high up or near the back of the motorcycle, particularly on light motorcycles. This will change the centre of gravity and disturb the balance of the motorcycle.

Keep the load central

Putting a load too far back or forward will affect the stability of the motorcycle. You shouldn't have the load behind the back wheel or at the front of the motorcycle, and never on the handlebars.

Distribute the load evenly

If you have saddlebags, make certain the weight in each one is about the same. An uneven load can cause the motorcycle to pull to one side or wobble.

Secure the load

Fasten the load securely with elastic cords or ropes. A loose load may cause the motorcycle to be unstable on rough roads or while cornering. An insecure load can catch in the wheel or chain. If this happens, the rear wheel may lock up and the motorcycle may skid.

Check the load

Check the load every so often when you are stopped. Make sure it has not worked loose or moved.

• Advertisement

If that's the biggest problem one would face I know there would be plenty of ways around it main.jpg

P.K.M. wrote: »
    Loads

Although motorcycles are not really designed to carry goods, small loads can be carried safely if they are properly positioned and fastened.

Keep the load low

Secure loads to the seat or put them in saddlebags or tank bags. Don't put heavy loads high up or near the back of the motorcycle, particularly on light motorcycles. This will change the centre of gravity and disturb the balance of the motorcycle.

Keep the load central

Putting a load too far back or forward will affect the stability of the motorcycle. You shouldn't have the load behind the back wheel or at the front of the motorcycle, and never on the handlebars.

Distribute the load evenly

If you have saddlebags, make certain the weight in each one is about the same. An uneven load can cause the motorcycle to pull to one side or wobble.

Secure the load

Fasten the load securely with elastic cords or ropes. A loose load may cause the motorcycle to be unstable on rough roads or while cornering. An insecure load can catch in the wheel or chain. If this happens, the rear wheel may lock up and the motorcycle may skid.

Check the load

Check the load every so often when you are stopped. Make sure it has not worked loose or moved.

Thanks for this, exactly what I was looking for. Another unrealistic dream fades...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats not even in this country and if that guy had any sense he wouldn't be riding around in a pair of shorts a T-shirt and a half helmet.
    The fact that he posted pictures of himself doing so is a clue to how much brainpower he has.

Of course I'm aware these pictures aren't from Ireland...The reason I'm so interested in this is that it seems to be legal, or at the very least acceptable in America as I have seen a good few riders with set-ups similar to these that have been doing so for years

If anyone is interested in motorcycle mounted bikes, here are the best links I've found so far:
    http://leastmost.com/features/bikes-on-bikes/
    http://www.bikeguide.org/forum/index.php?topic=212726.0

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...there's a world of difference between illegal and not being legal. They are not the same.

It's like filtering: it's not illegal. Ergo, quasi-legal.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...there's a world of difference between illegal and not being legal. They are not the same.

It's like filtering: it's not illegal. Ergo, quasi-legal.

This was exactly what I was wondering, I'm not sure how well it would go down with the local gardaí, but I can't Imagine a well mounted bike, not obstructing plates or lights and not putting other road users at risk to get one into a huge amount of trouble, nevertheless I don't know if I'd like to be the one to find out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

P.K.M. wrote: »
    Anyone with half a brain knows it's not legal. How on earth could it be??!!

Au contrair my good man, there's no such thing as a legal / illegal mod to bikes in Ireland as there's no NCT equivalent for bikes. Once it meets the basic requirements of lights, reg plate etc you can ride whatever you want.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Rear brake light is obscured and cant be seen by other road users.

Perhaps in one Image that was the case, but as there are no guidelines to making these of course you can avoid obstructing any of your lights/plate e.g.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmEDai_-THa4bL0vR01hcOkCVrgl-PkaZO3JLrUFql3ZasjErJ
    DK6.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I've carried bicycles strapped to my pannier mounting racks - this guy is taking it seriously though:

BJBkYGpCUAEtJft.jpg:large

I've carried bicycles strapped to my pannier mounting racks - this guy is taking it seriously though:

BJBkYGpCUAEtJft.jpg:large
    The Irish flag gives me confidence, although I could definitely see him getting done for blocking his plates or the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I could definitely see him getting done for blocking his plates or the likes.

Seriously? In thirty years of all sorts of number plate related shenanigans I've never been pulled in, warned or hassled for anything like that. A second plate bungeed on outside the bike would sort it - I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Think of all the bikes with tax disc holders over their plates - what difference is an extra bicycle or two going to make?

Advertisement