Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is best?

Options
  • 30-06-2013 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Want to buy a laptop for my husband's birthday. I've seen two that seem to fit the bill (I'm a complete technophobic!) I was just looking for a bit of advice as to which is the best.

Laptop 1: Samsung €570
    Intel Core i5-2410m
    6GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    Intel HD graphics
    6.5 hr battery life

Laptop 2: Toshiba €480
    Intel Core i3-2348
    8GB memory
    750 GB hard drive
    Intel HD graphics
    4 hr battery life

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

I think that you could get better deals than those if you're willing to buy online.

Amazon.de has some great offers, but the keyboard lay-out would be slightly different, and the language of the operating system would probably need to be changed. It has probably the best value laptops on the internet though if you're happy to put up those inconveniences.
    They have a Toshiba with an i3 - 3120 processor for 330e at the moment.

Laptopsdirect.ie and saveonlaptops.co.uk seem to be fairly ok to buy from from what I've heard, and they also have quite good prices.

Keep an eye out for either i3 - 3--- or i5 - 3--- processors.
    Both of the laptops you mention contain slightly older processors, and the graphics capabilities on the newer 3---, such as the i3 - 3120 that I mentioned, are quite a bit better.

Hope that helps until someone who really knows what they're talking about arrives...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

Roustabout wrote: »
    Want to buy a laptop for my husband's birthday. I've seen two that seem to fit the bill (I'm a complete technophobic!) I was just looking for a bit of advice as to which is the best.

Laptop 1: Samsung €570
    Intel Core i5-2410m
    6GB memory
    1TB hard drive
    Intel HD graphics
    6.5 hr battery life

Laptop 2: Toshiba €480
    Intel Core i3-2348
    8GB memory
    750 GB hard drive
    Intel HD graphics
    4 hr battery life

Any advice greatly appreciated

Laptop 1 would be slightly faster i believe.
    Processor is small bit better which would give it a small boost.
    The extra ram on 2 wouldn't matter too much unless you were running virtual machine software or numerous intensive programs at once.

It wouldn't be worth the extra 90€ though imo.Where are these priced from just out of interest?

Would you be interested in buying online?
    Il take to assume that around 570 is your max.

Il show you two models so.

Here is the higher performance model.
    The 'i7-3632QM' in this is very good.
    It wipes the floor compared to the models you posted.(It benchmarks(a speed testing procedure) just under two times more than the i5 model listed above)
    The 4GB ram is enough ram for everyday needs and even more.
    If you wanted more ram in the future, ram is very easily bought and installed.
    You can buy an extra 4GB ram fro 30£ or so.
    500GB Hard Drive is more than enough imo.
    Has a good 4-5 hour battery life.
    The graphics for gaming would be slightly better due to being a newer system.

This is 450£ + 10£ delivery, 460£, which is around 540€ delivered.

Now a cheaper model.
    This model is 80£ cheaper.
    So with delivery, it would come to €445 delivered.
    The 'i5-3210M' would again be better than the two models you posted.
    Nice 6GB of ram.
    500GB Hard Drive again.
    Estimated battery life is upto 4 hours.
    The graphics for gaming again would be slightly better due to being a newer system.

If you've any questions about others just ask.

If you wanted to take a look yourself here, ive filtered to just include the i5 processors which are good value laptops. You could take a look yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Roustabout

Thanks so much for your replies. I didn't dare to venture online to shop as it seemed a bit daunting and technical! I have no problem buying online, I just didn't know where to start. I looked in PC World and those two I mentioned seemed to be the best of what was there within my price range, and spec that I think he requires!
    mcw92, the links you provided to the laptops seem quite good (better bang for the buck definitely) so thanks again for that. Would Acer be a good brand? He had mentioned Toshiba in passing before so I thought they might be better??
    Either way I'm not fussed, I just want him to be happy! God I sound like a very subservient wife :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Roustabout

Mmmmm, trying to order from saveonlaptops.co.uk but I can't seem to set up an account without a post code :confused:
    Looked on Amazon and I can get the same laptop for approx. €590 inc. shipping (it's approx. €500 from saveonlaptops)
    Anyone have a similar difficulty setting up an account from Ireland on saveonlaptops.co.uk?
    This is the laptop I was looking at......Toshiba Satellite Pro C850-1EQ 15.6-inch Laptop (Intel Core i5 3210M IvyBridge Processor, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD±RW, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-Bit)
    Does this look decent for the prices as quoted above?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

try adding 00000(choice of random numbers) or the landline area code ... sometimes works ... post will still get here .. ;).

• Advertisement
Advertisement