Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Legal Question

Options
  • 30-06-2013 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Folks,

I am a foreigner. I am not familiar with the local laws and regulations. Please advise if one is allowed to practice MA's outside in public places (i.e. parks or just green areas).

Thanks.

Would you be interested to practice MA in a park or so? 9 votes

Yes, absolutely!
    0%
    No, this is stupid.
    66%
    smaclgustavatwork[Deleted User]ScottStormdeadybailaoch na mona 6 votes
    Not sure if it is allowed but it would be great.
    11%
    Rob Humanoid 1 vote
    It is prohibited by law (considered to be an offence) to practice martial arts in public places.
    22%
    [Deleted User]ColGreen 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gustavatwork

No, this is stupid.
    Hm.. sorry. I thought it was obvious. Martial Arts (=MA's).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭deadybai

No, this is stupid.
    Whats type of martial arts? What would you be doing ? And yeah I just realised after I posted first. Bit of a brain fart there haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Have you seen the weather in Ireland?

No, this is stupid.
    I love Irish weather! :-) Seriously it would be my least concern. If it is raining heavily - so be it. Otherwise, c'mon I can stand the humidity. :-)

I am a karate practitioner. I would be very interested to practice kata in a "park". Kata is the most time consuming part of the training. requires repetitions and taking your time in polishing moves. So, I personally do not see any offense in doing stuff on public (I did in ex-USSR, Singapore, in France, in Israel, in Scotland...). I am more interested in legal side. Not looking for troubles at all...

No, this is stupid.
    I love Irish weather! :-) Seriously it would be my least concern. If it is raining heavily - so be it. Otherwise, c'mon I can stand the humidity. :-)

I am a karate practitioner. I would be very interested to practice kata in a "park". Kata is the most time consuming part of the training. requires repetitions and taking your time in polishing moves. So, I personally do not see any offense in doing stuff on public (I did in ex-USSR, Singapore, in France, in Israel, in Scotland...). I am more interested in legal side. Not looking for troubles at all...

Yep then completely feel free to do it. I used to practice my Hapkido in the park in Waterford city. As far as I know it is legal. I would advise to not practice in public using any type of weapon as I'm pretty sure there illegal to bring out in the public.

• Advertisement

No, this is stupid.
    Great! Thanks for the advice. I will start looking for a place around then.

No, this is stupid.
    Great! Thanks for the advice. I will start looking for a place around then.

Goodluck!

No, this is stupid.
    hey i was just wondering how do you start a thread on this website?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

No, this is stupid.
    Yep, used to practice pad work regularly at one point in the park adjoining St Pat's Catherdral, and also practised pad work, wrestling, sparring and tai chi forms in Marlay and St Endas park. Saw a bunch of people practicing what looked like shaolin kung fu in Rathfarnham castle park last weekend when out for a spin with my daughter. Don't know what the craic is if you're using it as a venue to teach, and whether you need public liability insurance and/or permission in that case. Better to pick a secluded corner of the park. We used to get some great lines off the locals training outside St Pats. Training outdoors in decent weather is a blast, beaches also work well. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

If you have a legal question, you would be better off asking in the legal advice forum.

I assume you are talking about running classes, and not just training on your own? As far as I know, people running boot-camps get charged quite a high fee to use publicparks, but I think that's mainly because the council wants to prevent them running these camps in the first place, as they wreck the place. Now I'm sure whatever you're doing won't damage the grass, but if the boot-camp people see you and find out you're not being charged, they're going to complain.

Also, while you might not mind the rain, everyone else does. That would be the main thing that would prevent your class going ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

I always found training in parks in Ireland great for developing balance etc. with the wet / slippery ground. Never had any problems.

Though rain seems to be a big problem for "tough" martial artists if you intend running regular classes! Never understood the attitude of not minding receiving kicks and punches but being afraid of a drop or two of water.then again maybe it displays great wisdom, after all doesnt Lao Tzu state:

Nothing in the world is as soft and weak as water. Yet for attacking the hard and strong, nothing works as well. This is because water is too soft and weak
    to be altered. The weak will overcome the strong; the soft will overcome the hard. This principle is known to all people under heaven, yet no one puts it into practice. (78:1-2)

Shame really, you should see how parks are used in China, martial arts, ballroom dancing, musicians, calligraphy with water! You name it!!! Adds to quality of life!

Smacl - ah i remember those seasions beside Pat's Cathederal well. Locals used to pass comment on any sloppy delivery of technique - inspirational ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Matt KSW

i practice outside a lot, in parks on the beech any where i can, with every aspect of my style including weapons practice, and have never been told to stop by any members of the public, local groups/orginisations or garda who have watched me practice.

No, this is stupid.
    Thanks everyone. I appreciate our replies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 Imperial_Ldn

I always found training in parks in Ireland great for developing balance etc. with the wet / slippery ground. Never had any problems.

Seems a bit silly. Why don't you get a bucket of water and some dog **** and spray it all over your dojo to train that experience. Anyone sparring for more than a round or two is completely taking their health into their own hands training in that kind of environment.
    Though rain seems to be a big problem for "tough" martial artists if you intend running regular classes!

Only a fool who has a fantasy about being a chinese warrior monk would entertain training an indoor sport outside in the rain.

Nothing in the world is as soft and weak as water. Yet for attacking the hard and strong, nothing works as well. This is because water is too soft and weak
    to be altered. The weak will overcome the strong; the soft will overcome the hard. This principle is known to all people under heaven, yet no one puts it into practice. (78:1-2)

Your man is clearly wrong as air trumps water on all the grounds this is based. Air is 'softer' and 'weaker' than water yet, it's forces are as 'strong' and as 'hard' well witnessed overtime.
    Shame really, you should see how parks are used in China, martial arts, ballroom dancing, musicians, calligraphy with water! You name it!!! Adds to quality of life!

this is purely a climate thing.

To answer the question, you might be liable for 3rd party injury if you practice martial arts in a public place and members of the public join in. If they become injured under your implied supervision you may be liable for those injuries.

Advertisement