Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build finished but no GPU (need a placeholder)

Options
  • 30-06-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help over the past 2 weeks I have the following ready to be built:

i5 3570K
    stock cooler (for now)
    ASrock z77 Extreme 4
    Corsair Tx650W
    Seagate 500 GB HDD
    Samsung 840 pro 128 GB
    Generic Optical drive.
    Antec 300
    W8

However I ran out of cash before getting the GPU.
    I have a 250 GTS 512MB but that aint going to do ****.

So in order to play games I was thinking of getting a 2nd hand place holder card til I can afford a 760 GTX. I can prob raise enough cash from selling old tech to get one

I was considering a 560GTX.

Is this a good gaming card to keep me occupied for a couple of months?
    What would be a good price?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

The 500 series is from 2010. Try and get a Nvidia 600 series / AMD 7800 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

AMDs 7790 and Nvidias 650ti, both roughly the same price at about €150 including delivery. Think the 7790 may even come with a few games aswell from some vendors.
    These two seem to be the minimum for 1080p gaming from the current line of cards
    Can get 1Gb or 2Gb versions of the 7790 and the 650 ti depending on how much you want to spend.
    If its a place holder id cheap out and get the cheapest of the two. Wont break your heart as much when your selling it for half price on adverts in a few months!!
    You would have to turn down a few settings in game but either should see you through, especially if you can get the games with the 7790.
    Hers a link to the 7790s on overclockers, I think there still doing the bundled games, on phone so hard to check properly:
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/search_results.php?keywords=7790&_=1372668875554

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭finlaycm

Yeah, because its a placeholder I might try and get one for cheaper on adverts if I can. I don't expect to be able to play the latest and greatest on high, it's just that I haven't gamed in like 6 months and need a fix of TF2 and Skyrim.

I could never really understand AMD line of GPUs so thanks for telling em that the 7790 is the rough equivalent of the 650.

Also overclookers seem like they do pretty good prices for the 760. hopefully they don't charge to much for delivery when I can eventually afford it.

On a side note, do GPU come down on price the longer they are out or is it only when the new line is launched?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

finlaycm wrote: »
    Also overclookers seem like they do pretty good prices for the 760. hopefully they don't charge to much for delivery when I can eventually afford it.

On a side note, do GPU come down on price the longer they are out or is it only when the new line is launched?

Varies on basket weight with OCers but it will probably be about £8 or so (Roughly €10 or €11). Probably better off on Amazon to be honest unless you see it on a daily offer from OCers.

• Advertisement

Both the 7790 and 650 ti would be fairly similar in performance to a gtx 560. A 560 is old enough now so make sure you dont overpay for it if you go the second hand route.
    The reason I said the 7790 and 650ti is that there new, and if your lookin to sell in a few month you might be able to get a quicker sale.
    Theres a lot of 560's floating round on adverts so you would have competition, I wouldn pay more than €100 for one.

The price is usually related to competition, if nvidia make a new card amd might drop the price of the card above nvidias performance wise to the same price, which means amd will then be better price/performance at said price.
    Hope that made sense:)
    Someone may be able to explain it better!
    Also scan.co.uk are a good english retailer and have sales aswell. I got my own card from them. Prompt delivery and good customer service from my experience.
    I got a 7950 and paid €12 for 2 day delivery

Cheers thanks for the heads up I will look at scan.co.uk from now on.

I'm not looking to pay 100 euro, maybe like 80-90. Try and sell it in 2 months for 50e if I can. On adverts some people have them posted for above 140/150 doubt they are worth what a new 650 is. I could also throw my 250 for 30

...or stay off the beer for one weekend!

finlaycm wrote: »
    ...or stay off the beer for one weekend!

Jasus dont do anything that drastic......:P

Depending on what games you want to play you wouldnt even need something like a 560. A much cheaper card will play the likes of Torchlight 2,Minecraft and a lot of the older and indie titles on steam.

I had a laptop with an Nvidia 315m 1GB and it played games like above and i think that card retailed at like €25 brand new and was a mobile version of the card.

Also even though its a pain in the a@#$ maybe just save the cash and put towards the new card.
    I had a 7870 and sold it before i got a new card for the sake of a quick sale,a week later a better version of the 7870 (7870 XT) came out and made my original 7870 worth a lot less.
    I had to go without a card for awhile but was worth it in the end...financially anyway:)

Actually there is an Asus GTX 560 DC/2DI/1GD5 up on Ebay, low bidding and finished tomorrow I will see if I can get it for 70. Wouldn't be too much of a hit and I could sell it on for nearly the same price in a couple of months. Really want to play the witcher 2, TF2m, boarderlands 2 and a rake of games I bought on the steam sales over the years

• Advertisement

Cool man ye that sounds good for that kind of money.
    Some of the prices on adverts you may even sell that for a profit in a few months
    Just bought the Witcher 1 and 2 in a sale for €9,haven played 2 yet but enjoying 1,love Borderlands 2 aswell

It was borderlands 2 that caused my old PC to explode. Can't wait to play it, wonder is the saves are in the cloud somewhere. Anyway, I'll let you know if I get that GPU.

I actually got an Asus GTX 560 for 88 delivered from ebay, not a bad price and I might be able to get rid of it for 80 in a couple of months, if it works that is! Hopefully I''ll be able to play most games on it to a reasonable level.

Advertisement