Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly in a glass of wine - should restaurant give you another glass?

Options
  • 30-06-2013 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Interesting thing happened last night - was in a very nice restaurant and a fly fell into my glass of wine. It was not long after being topped up so was at least two thirds full. I said it to the waitress and she took it away, brought back a fresh glass and just poured the rest of our bottle.

Do people think we should have been offered a free glass of wine on the house or was it our own tough luck?

To be honest I was disappointed that they didn't at least offer - the wine was expensive enough!

Thanks for your thoughts

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This is more a consumer issue. Moved from Food & Drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭blindsider

You should probably have been offered something e.g. a glass of house wine. The fly was in THEIR restaurant - you could reasonably expect them to provide you with an insect-free environment.

Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Pick it out. Continue to drink. It's only a fly afterall...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

This. If it was freshly poured and the fly freshly landed then it would have done no harm.

I'm sure if you mentioned a possible replacement glass they would have obliged thou.

Guilty! ...I also follow the 10 second rule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

To be honest if it happened to me I wouldn't expect them to replace it if it was me. I guess I see as there was actually nothing wrong with the wine and that a fly landing into it was a act of nature/god.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Miaireland wrote: »
    To be honest if it happened to me I wouldn't expect them to replace it if it was me. I guess I see as there was actually nothing wrong with the wine and that a fly landing into it was a act of nature/god.

Act of a desperate alcoholic insect, more like...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

They should have replaced the wine and apologized, it's the least they should have done. They need to keep their reputation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

JOSman wrote: »
    They should have replaced the wine and apologized, it's the least they should have done. They need to keep their reputation.

Apologized for what? Kamikaze flys?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It personally wouldn't bother me - I'd fish out the fly and work away, rather than throw away good wine. Restaurants can't control absolutely everything in their environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

If you put yourself in the restaurants shoes. The waitress surely was considering what to do as she couldn't have opened a brand new bottle of wine just because one glass was ruined. What would she have done with the existing bottle on the table? Throw it away? i don't think so.

If it was just glass that you were drinking then she could have replaced it with a free glass. Its just a tricky situation to deal with because of the bottle of wine. That being said apologising was a priority on here behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Restaurants make a huge mark up on wine, if they couldn't have given you another glass of the '86 dom you had open a glass of something else should have been offered - easily done just pair the wine with your dessert order or another course.

The pick it out comments surprise me, frankly I'd do this at home if I'm honest but in a 'good' restaurant - no. Flies buzzing around is a standards issue for somewhere serving food, it was a complete no-no when I was managing a Starbucks, I'd expect any self-respecting restaurant to be of at-least a good standard as the McDonalds of coffee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

How are the restaurant responsible at all?

If they replaced the glass it would be a good will gesture, nothing more.

It's a fact of life that as customers open the restaurant door, flies may enter. That's what flies do.

It's got nothing to do with hygiene etc.

ebixa82 wrote: »
    How are the restaurant responsible at all?

If they replaced the glass it would be a good will gesture, nothing more.

It's a fact of life that as customers open the restaurant door, flies may enter. That's what flies do.

It's got nothing to do with hygiene etc.

Legally of course you are correct, the level of service appropriate with a 'good' restaurant however in my personal opinion... that said I'm no great advocate of the service industries here, seems to be backed up by the expectations of the punters to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I think it all depends on whether the fly was doing the backstroke or the breaststroke

Englishman, Irishman and a Scotsman... A fly lands in each of their respective drinks:

The Englishman pushes the drink aside, the Irishman fishes it out and continues to drink, the Scotsman grabs the fly and shouts "SPIT IT OOOUT!".

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I would have sent over and comped you a dessert wine or digestif, but replacing the bottle would not be an option. Frankly you were being a bit cheeky sending the wine back. It's summer. There are places in France or Spain that would just fish out the fly and hand you back the glass - alcohol is a good sanitiser!!

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Paddy1234 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Interesting thing happened last night - was in a very nice restaurant and a fly fell into my glass of wine. It was not long after being topped up so was at least two thirds full. I said it to the waitress and she took it away, brought back a fresh glass and just poured the rest of our bottle.

Do people think we should have been offered a free glass of wine on the house or was it our own tough luck?

To be honest I was disappointed that they didn't at least offer - the wine was expensive enough!

Thanks for your thoughts
    Should have been offered a new fly at a minimum.

Chris o Dowd took it a step further on the Graham norton show last week

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

But you got a wine with extra body, they should have charged you more;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭Morph the Cat

JOSman wrote: »
    They should have replaced the wine and apologized, it's the least they should have done.

They did replace it - the OP wanted an extra glass for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

They did replace it - the OP wanted an extra glass for free.

They didn't replace it.
    They brought back a new glass & poured wine from existing bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Did you ask for the glass of wine to be thrown away or did she dump it of her own accord?
    If it's the latter you could have an excuse saying you only wanted a utensil to fish the fly out and not lose a whole glass of wine.
    perhaps a glass of house wine as a goodwill gesture would have been nice, but I wouldn't fault them for not giving one.

Advertisement