Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on my new laptop.

Options
  • 30-06-2013 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi so its about time for me to get a new laptop. My old one has had its day. Anyway I'm just looking for any suggestions on buying a new laptop.

The price is going to be a big thing (student here) but my birthday is coming up and Iv been saving up for a new laptop.

I've been thinking about gaming on PC, I watched a few videos on YouTube and I think the whole modding community looks great Id love to play on PC so a decent gaming laptop too would be great. I watch a lot of movies so a hdmi port would be useful too.

I haven't a clue about computers really so any help would be pretty cool :) thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

whats your max cost?

A decent gaming laptop will be over a grand

but you can get something cheaper, if you dont mind playing on lower settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

What kind of games do you intend on playing?

Also does the size/portability matter too much?
    And if you have a max budget, any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mathsyay

mcw92 wrote: »
    What kind of games do you intend on playing?

Also does the size/portability matter too much?
    And if you have a max budget, any idea?

It doesn't have to be portable and I don't plan on playing high end games the graphic level of my Xbox 360 would be fine I'd just love to play some of the skyrim mods and games like Rome total war. Again the graphics don't have to be amazing just that the frame rate is decent and I'm not watching a slide show of my game

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mathsyay

whats your max cost?

A decent gaming laptop will be over a grand

but you can get something cheaper, if you dont mind playing on lower settings.

A grand is pretty steep I'm not really looking for a power house machine just something half decent with a decent frame rate.

mathsyay wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be portable and I don't plan on playing high end games the graphic level of my Xbox 360 would be fine I'd just love to play some of the skyrim mods and games like Rome total war. Again the graphics don't have to be amazing just that the frame rate is decent and I'm not watching a slide show of my game

Id say we could find a good one for 700-800 if that would suit?

Il take a look online in a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Here's a good one I came across a few days back that I'm thinking of getting myself, seems a bargain compared to other laptops with similar specs and should be able to play most modern games. Only problem is its got a German keyboard layout

http://www.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?adp=0&aid=75793&agid=729&apop=1

mathsyay wrote: »

A 640M/730M should be able to handle Skyrim on a Medium settings.
    A 660M should be able to handle Skyrim on a Medium-High settings.

Comparing this one for 770€ delivered vs the one Harps posted,

Processor is twice the power(according to benchmarks), and is the newest haswell chips(vs the older Ivy Bridge)
    8GB Ram(vs the 4GB Ram)
    1000GB HD ( vs 750GB HD)
    Both have Windows 8 64Bit.
    This has a 740M GPU. Its pretty much the same as a 640M/730M.
    This is the difference. The model Harps posted has a 660M, a better card.
    But if you are not going to be doing to much gaming, and not interested in high graphics too much, the 740M is grand.
    Both have a 15.4" screen, but this model has a worse resolution(1366 x 768) vs (1920 x 1080)

EDIT :

If your interested in looking more,
    Here are various models online, you'll need to be looking at ones with at least a 640M in my opinion.

Advertisement