Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mathematics in trinity vs economics and finance in UCD

Options
  • 30-06-2013 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I'm currently trying to fill out my cao form and I am torn between doing maths (TR031) in trinity or economics and finance (DN671) in UCD.

If anyone has any experience or knows anything about either of the two courses I would really appreciate some feedback to help in making my decision.

My main priority is which course would offer me the greatest employment opportunities in areas such as actuary, insurance, banking, analytics etc.

which would be considered 'the better' course?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

beeelo85 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm currently trying to fill out my cao form and I am torn between doing maths (TR031) in trinity or economics and finance (DN671) in UCD.

If anyone has any experience or knows anything about either of the two courses I would really appreciate some feedback to help in making my decision.

My main priority is which course would offer me the greatest employment opportunities in areas such as actuary, insurance, banking, analytics etc.

Depends how mathematical the job is. Actuarial jobs, maths is definitely better.
    Maths is probably the more impressive course (ie it would be perceived as tougher, so a good result is more impressive, I'd think), but economics and finance gives you a broader scope of possibilities.

I do maths, and am currently interning in a trading firm in the ifsc, and they've lots of employees from both courses, actually. Of the interns, there are three Trinity maths students (plus one theoretical physicist) and one economics and finance. There are also two actuarial maths students from ucd. Ultimately, its more about how good you are than what degree you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭wantacookie

beeelo85 wrote: »

I have had both an IT job and a Finance job coming from Mathematics. The companies in the UK love maths graduates. I worked in Morgan Stanley last year in Finance but there was also another Mathematician working in Operations. They offered her a grad job at the end of the summer and me another internship because I was going into masters! They definitely want to keep Maths students!

You need to pick the degree you are interested in and will enjoy the most, you could get into any of those jobs with either degree. The whole point of college is doing something you are interested in studying the most!

Maths in Trinity let you do a mixture of subjects from Pure Maths, Statistics, Computation (programming) and physics/mechanics based subjects. In first year you do a mix of all of these. Look here for some information about the modules you could be taking.

The two courses are very different (Maths vs Economics and Finance) but both have their merits, it just depends on what you are interested in.

Have you considered Maths and Economics TSM in Trinity? I have a friend who did that who is doing actuarial next year!

Hope some of that helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 beeelo85

Thanks a million everyone for all your feedback!

Advertisement