Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHOTO QUESTION?

Options
  • 29-06-2013 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Is there any suggestions on how I can prevent a photo from fading with sun light. I want tp place it in a sealed frame for a grave.
    Is there any laminating sheets that I can laminate the photo with that will prevent fading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I would suggest that you get the photo copied onto a porcelain type plaque. I have seen many photos which were well sealed but in time faded and became damp.
    Look here > http://mountjerome.com/index.php?q=image/tid/3

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bull McCabe1920

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I would suggest that you get the photo copied onto a porcelain type plaque. I have seen many photos which were well sealed but in time faded and became damp.
    Look here > http://mountjerome.com/index.php?q=image/tid/3

I see these photos on headstones and are quite expensive.
    Would there be and spray that prevents sun rays fading photos do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Get some museum glass. Might be hard to keep the whole thing sealed from the damp though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Steve in 360dpi may be able to assist (stcstc). On framing a piece for me I opt'd for a uv glass which is to reduce fading.

No idea does something like that translate into a headstone memorial. I'd guess that if you get to talk to the right memorial provider they would probably know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

UV glass DOES NOT stop fading, it does help slow it down, but doesnt stop completely

museum glass has the same properties as uv glass,

depends on what you want it to look like, but maybe some sealed with varnish or something would be a cheaper option

but johns idea of having it printed onto ceramic etc would be the longest lasting

or resin / fibreglass encapsulation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Maybe just replace it every so often instead of trying to stop it fading?

Does anyone know where I could but Lyson print guard spray or Premier print guard shield spray in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You would need some sort of non reactive inks, I'm sure they exist but even so you're only going to get a certain length of time out of it before the inks start to fade.

Replacing the picture every so often might be the only real option.

those sprays are not weather proof at all

you might be better with lamination, will last longer, but wont last forever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't think basic lamination is going to last long with Irish weather.

The picture is pretty basic, as just text and a simple cross it could easily be carved in wood, you can put a good thick layer of paint on it, seal it well and you might get near to ten years out of it.

proper heat sealed lamination will last a few years, I do it often

have a print hanging outside for 3 years laminated and is fine

Advertisement