Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open source CMS v custom build

Options
  • 29-06-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I could really do with some advice from web developers experienced in full life cycle development projects.

I have a well researched (commercially) idea for a start-up with the main product being a web platform, to be sold into SMEs. The platform will be sold with consulting to maximise monetisation; hosting, support and regular upgrades. Similar to the SaaS model. Its a fast growing global market with little competition, overdue for disruption.

My question is this. Is it better to build on a CMS like Wordpress to get a beta out within several weeks. Or, is it better, looking long-term, to custom build from scratch and go to market in several months. Either works, in business terms, but I'm getting conflicting advice on whether to customise Wordpress or build from scratch. Most advice recommends the latter route.

Appreciate any insights, advice etc

Cheers
    Max :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

It's really difficult to say without knowing more about the business you're trying to support. Is the data you'll be looking after content (articles, photos, movies etc) or is it more transactional date (payments, purchases, bookings etc).

How many users will each instance of your service support, what volumes of content/data, what availability is required (is it mission critical)? Will all/part of it be accessible to the general public? Will it need to process payments for you, your customers? How delicate is the data, are there any specific security requirements? Do you intend to host on your own infrastructure (physical or virtual) or are you thinking of a cloud based solution? Will your service need to be mobile, either as a responsive website or an app?

Will the customers be able to (need to) customise their own instance and if so will this just be changing the branding or will it require alterations to the functionality?

Do you have a team in mind, can you quickly fund one if required? Do you expect slow/fast growth?

Where are you getting your current advice, friends, colleagues, family? Are any of them qualified/experienced in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Hi Graham
    Thanks for your questions.
    The data is both multimedia content, a member database of up to 30,000 in each SME and different forms of transactional data.
    We aim to train a small team in each SME to manage the platform day-to-day. Publish new content, manage transactions etc overseen by our own team centrally.
    The platform will be the SME's main channel to its members and the public so its mission critical. Members will access certain areas, after setting up an account, like you do to post on boards.
    The data is delicate as it will involve stored personal info, plus transaction / payment details. Security is critical.
    We've negotiated a good deal for enterprise level cloud hosting, which takes care of our anticipated needs for at least a year.
    More likely a responsive site, than app driven.
    We plan to offer two products. One with limited features for smaller SMEs
    and one with a full feature set for medium to large clients. Client branding will be feature on each 'white label' platform / site. That's the only customisation (theme) we anticipate.
    I have most of the team recruited, bar a web designer and web dev and I'm interviewing for these roles currently.
    Not sure about growth rate. From research I know the market needs this product, however we'll be relying on grants to fund marketing until revenue builds. We already have VC interest, but we want to build revenue first.
    In the early stages of getting my advice from Enterprise Ireland, VCs, web devs and designers and some tech entrepreneurs.
    Does that help any?
    Cheers
    Max :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Max001 wrote: »
    The data is both multimedia content, a member database of up to 30,000 in each SME and different forms of transactional data.

Would I be correct in assuming the transactional data is incidental to the core product rather than being the core product itself? E.g. members and member payments.
    We aim to train a small team in each SME to manage the platform day-to-day. Publish new content, manage transactions etc overseen by our own team centrally.

So I think we're talking about a CMT here with an associated membership system.
    The platform will be the SME's main channel to its members and the public so its mission critical.
    Realistically, how critical? Will people die without it, will business stop, will customers be standing around waiting, will planes stop taking off? Are we talking 24/7/365 availability, D.R. hot failover sites etc etc etc?
    Members will access certain areas, after setting up an account, like you do to post on boards.
    The data is delicate as it will involve stored personal info, plus transaction / payment details. Security is critical.
    Does this apply to the entire operation or just the payment information? Are we talking about medical/psychiatric records?

We've negotiated a good deal for enterprise level cloud hosting, which takes care of our anticipated needs for at least a year.
    You've negotiated a deal, you don't know whether it's a good one yet because you don't know what your requirements are. Be careful this 'deal' doesn't railroad you into a particular technology route.
    More likely a responsive site, than app driven.
    We plan to offer two products. One with limited features for smaller SMEs and one with a full feature set for medium to large clients. Client branding will be feature on each 'white label' platform / site. That's the only customisation (theme) we anticipate.
    I have most of the team recruited, bar a web designer and web dev and I'm interviewing for these roles currently.
    Are the team experienced/enthusiastic or both? By experienced I mean in a (preferable profitable) commercial operation. For a web-tech startup you appear to be missing the bits of the team that relate to either web or tech.
    Not sure about growth rate.
    Not necessarily a problem as long as whatever solution you choose has the flexibility to cope.
    From research I know the market needs this product.
    What research?
    However we'll be relying on grants to fund marketing until revenue builds.
    Do you have the grants, how likely/quickly?
    We already have VC interest, but we want to build revenue first.
    It would be unusual for VC's to get involved at this stage. We're barely talking early stage participation here, it sounds more like pre-early stage.
    In the early stages of getting advice from Enterprise Ireland, VCs, web devs and designers and some tech entrepreneurs.

Going back to your original question, it's still not really possible to tell whether you should be aiming for a solution built on/around WordPress or something completely bespoke.

I really dislike the current thinking (usually by inexperienced operators) where WordPress is touted as the solution to everything. That said, there are instances where the core of a product is based around delivering and interacting with content when WordPress could be a contender.

I'm not sure what the team you've assembled will be doing, at the moment it sounds like you have an idea and a talking group. I would suggest all you need at this stage is enough of a team to put together a MVP. If the first iteration of this is based around WordPress, so be it. You do not at this stage (unless you have money to burn) usually need; a sales team, a marketing team, a finance team, a customer support team etc etc. These functions all add expense, levels of complication/noise and cost (either in cash or equity).

Ireland is not really a location where VC's will throw cash at several early-stage startups at once, hoping one or two will stick. To be honest, you probably don't want/need VC funding (yet) anyway.

Get a minimum viable product developed (or develop it yourself) then see if you can gain traction with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Its an interesting question. Generally its better to get something in front of potential clients quickly rather than waiting and over engineering a first release. A good proof of concept is invaluable.

Without knowing the details its hard to say for sure but if I was looking to put something together pretty quickly I'd use Ruby on Rails and host it on Heroku or Engine yard. I'm surprised you already have a hosting deal without knowing what technology stack you intend to use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Fair play to you for taking a leap like this OP, it seems like you have a lot of the business side well figured out and are well on your way.

With regard to your question itself, it is a little like asking "I want to build a house, but don't have an architect or builder yet, what bricks should I buy".

To be honest, I think you will need to find someone who will be able to architect your solution, someone who can look at all of your requirements (technical and business) in detail, and then design a solution to match. This person may be your developer, or you may decide to hire or contract an architect separately, or another possible option may be to hire a development company who can do the architecting and development for you.

Which ever option you go for, if you're not from a strong technical background it may be quite hard for you to evaluate any approach suggested by a potential architect, so I would recommend that you speak to a few, and get them to explain their approaches in detail. Ideally they should be able to give you the pros and cons of their suggested approach compared to others etc. Try to watch out for people who suggest an approach because it's the only thing they know, for e.g. a developer who only knows Wordpress is obviously going to suggest that you use Wordpress. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Wordpress, but you don't want to go down the road of using it unless it's for the right reasons.

Personally, I would recommend using a CMS of some type and building upon that. This would enable you to build your product far more quickly, and perhaps more importantly, it should also be far cheaper. Keep in mind though, there are a lot of CMSs out there, each with their own pros and cons, so again, you should get people who suggest using a particular one to explain the pros and cons and choose what meets your business needs the best.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your comments guys. Everything you've mentioned is very useful.

I think, between all the advice I've had to date, both from developers and those with expertise in digital business generally, we'll build on Wordpress initially, see what traction we get and then re-examine our options. Given we're bootstrapping, that appears to be the only choice.

Thanks again :)

Apologies for posting this here, but as its in context......

If anyone knows a web dev / designer who might be interested
    in partnering, I'd really welcome a PM.

Cheers :)

Advertisement