Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculating pay

Options
  • 29-06-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I want to work out how much I will come out with in my pay as an intern.

What deductions do I have to account for now and what are the rates. Things like social charges weren't here last time I was working and I've no idea how much would be taken for PRSI and pensions etc. Can anyone help me work it all out? Anything Else to consider maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

chanste wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I want to work out how much I will come out with in my pay as an intern.

What deductions do I have to account for now and what are the rates. Things like social charges weren't here last time I was working and I've no idea how much would be taken for PRSI and pensions etc. Can anyone help me work it all out? Anything Else to consider maybe?

Hi
    Deductions are:
    USC (universal social charge)
    PRD (pension related deduction)
    PRSI
    Pension
    Tax

If i'm not mistaken (for a 2 week period) USC is 2% up to 386, 4% from 386 to 616 and 7% of the balance.
    PRD (for a 2 week period) is exempt for first 576, 5% between 576 and 768 and 10% of balance (10.5% kicks higher up IIRC but for calculation purposes, it makes no real difference).
    PRSI is something like 4% of gross.
    Pension is constant (something like 70 euro every 2/52- for me at least).
    Tax is obviously 20% up to your cut-off point and then 41% of the balance (minus your tax credit obviously).

Basically it usually works out that any overtime you do is taxed to ****. The USC and PRD crap (plus the PRSI) bring the 41% rate to an effective rate of about 60% on any overtime.
    So overall depending on what you're earning expect your take-home to be in the region of 50% of your gross.

Edit:
    USC rates 2013

PRD link

Edit 2: Just remember the USC and PRD above are for a 2 week pay period. So scale up or down as appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

make sure to get tax free allowance cert done early or you will be on emergency tax for quite a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

You'll do better though for the first 6 months of internship as you have the full year's worth of tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭chanste

Thanks for the replies folks

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Don't forget medical council fee = 500 euro, MPS = 200 or so, couple of hundred more if you want to join IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

deloitte.ie/tc/Default.aspx

This is a decent calculator that does your USC/Income tax/other numbers for you. Not sure if it's 100% reliable but it's a good guide at least.

How much is MPS these days (I'm a 2nd year reg)? Can't find it on their site.

It's around 500 euro for a reg.

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    It's around 500 euro for a reg.

Same as IMO membership.

500 + 500 IMO + 275 odd for CPD + 510 med council + whatever else like courses, exams.

**** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Vorsprung wrote: »
    Same as IMO membership.

500 + 500 IMO + 275 odd for CPD + 510 med council + whatever else like courses, exams.

**** sake.

Hi
    I am going to get registered with Medical council for the first time this year,
    isn't the fees €390 for General registration?

Is it compulsory to get IMO, etc? What other compulsory fees should I keep in mind to pay, besides Irish Medical council?
    Thnx

Same as IMO membership.

**** sake.

Don't forget royal colleges blood money ! I love how our pay agreements are always compared to other public servents like teachers that work about 30 hours a week and have to kick in about 40 euro to the teaching concil (reduced due to the recession) Try loosing your first months pay cheque just to get permission to work for the ****ing HSE

• Advertisement

Don't forget royal colleges blood money ! I love how our pay agreements are always compared to other public servents like teachers that work about 30 hours a week and have to kick in about 40 euro to the teaching concil (reduced due to the recession) Try loosing your first months pay cheque just to get permission to work for the ****ing HSE

What's the story with college fees now? How much does it cost the average SHO or SpR?

I'm on the general division for another year :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

What's the story with college fees now? How much does it cost the average SHO or SpR?

For a GP (finished training and on SR) med council 510 CPD 275 ICGP 1200 MPS 7500 (10 sessions a week).....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

RobFowl wrote: »
    For a GP (finished training and on SR) med council 510 CPD 275 ICGP 1200 MPS 7500 (10 sessions a week).....

ICGP is €1200?:eek: that's outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

The training grant was diverted in the 2010 contract from the indiidual nchd to the METR unit in the hse and is now paid directly to the colleges, so trainees don't pay for training fees.

There are separate membership fees I.e. MRCSI, mrcpi etc, fees, that still have to be paid, and also Cpd fees depending on who manages your Cpd programme

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

The teaching council don't run fitness to practice investigations, so inevitably going to be cheaper.

Advertisement