Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's up with this arrest.

Options
  • 29-06-2013 6:32pm
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭


    Admittedly, I've only watched the first 3 minutes or so, up until Tommy Robinson was arrested. I was surprised to see a senior officer on scene, I've never once seen them out on the beat over here in the UK. Of course, she turned up to get her face in for the arrest of an EDL leader.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEI0TKkX9_o


    Of course, I'm not a supporter of the EDL although I do with work with a lot of guys who would be members, exceptt for the fact that our job doesn't allow it. I've listened to their reasoning and while I don't agree with a lot of what they say, I do understand why people are angered by certain issues with society today in the UK.

    Anyway, in relation to the video, I think that an arrest like that does nothing but raise the anger within the EDL membership, potentially win over new members and erode respect for [UK] police authority.


Comments

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner


    Arrests are used to stop a situation that is occurring and prevent future "situations"

    Whether or not a conviction will be gained in court in 4, 6 10 months time is irrelevant...at the time of arrest.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar


    She has a lot more patience than I do, fair play to her.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11


    discus wrote: »
    Anyway, in relation to the video, I think that an arrest like that does nothing but raise the anger within the EDL membership, potentially win over new members and erode respect for [UK] police authority.

    Maybe if they took of the hot heads for two seconds and had a reasonable conversation with the women there might be another solution than getting arrested.

    Have to give the Police credit, cameras in there faces two hot heads and they remained utterly professional.

    As for senior officers on the beat, seen the odd inspector doing the beat. Fair play to them, leading by example. I would be a big fan off don't give someone something that you wouldn't do yourself. I do understand senior staff do be busy but even an hour or two a week to go out and see whats going on out there can do no harm.


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    discus wrote: »
    Admittedly, I've only watched the first 3 minutes or so, up until Tommy Robinson was arrested. I was surprised to see a senior officer on scene, I've never once seen them out on the beat over here in the UK. Of course, she turned up to get her face in for the arrest of an EDL leader.

    It was a planned event. There would have been a lot of police present and offside. At events involving certain numbers of officers you have senior officers on the ground. They were a gold and silver commander on the day represented by their epaulettes.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus


    msg11 wrote: »
    Maybe if they took of the hot heads for two seconds and had a reasonable conversation with the women there might be another solution than getting arrested.

    Have to give the Police credit, cameras in there faces two hot heads and they remained utterly professional.

    Having had lads make a go for them, and then have their route blocked by police, I imagine most people would be a little agitated. The police had blocked them off completely. I fail to see what is professional about arresting 2 males for attempting to walk through a muslim dominated area.


  • Advertisement
  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    discus wrote: »
    Having had lads make a go for them, and then have their route blocked by police, I imagine most people would be a little agitated. The police had blocked them off completely. I fail to see what is professional about arresting 2 males for attempting to walk through a muslim dominated area.

    Because there is a lot more to it that just two people walking through a muslim area.


  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Liamos Dubs


    I'd consider arresting him for wearing those stoopid sun glasses:rolleyes:

    Similar to Irish law the police can make the decision to arrest is there has been a breach of the peace or if some one is engaging in behavior likely to provoke a breach of the peace.

    Like other posters have pointed out this was a staged event to incite a reaction. Thought the police managed the situation very professionally and certain people got the publicity they were seeking.


  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Gilbert Grape


    http://youtu.be/eZWKQ9GxPJI more likely he's out to cause bother


Advertisement