Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for cource choice (Law)

Options
  • 29-06-2013 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I studied in Trinity in last year doing Bess and I really enjoyed the whole experience. Really good location, the course was well taught, but it wasn't for me. So I dropped out and am reapplying to the Cao. I was set on doing straight Law, but recently have become really really interested in Philosophy. I looked into the possibility of doing law with Philosophy and I see only UCD offer that, not Trinity. However, I'm aware that I can take philosophy modules in third year of Law in Trinity. I guess I really like the idea of doing some philosophy from the start, which I don't think I can do in Trinity. So I'm wondering if anyone has advice, if they've done either, and what might be a better option, as I've to make up my mind by tomorrow evening! I like that there's new law facilities in UCD, but I have more respect for the Trinity courses in things like English and Law. I'd love to do Philosophy from the start with the Law, but I don't know if it's worth sacrificing the quality of the teaching and course structure of Law for that, and that's if there is a sacrifice at all, maybe I'm wrong.
    So basically looking for any advice/opinions on this, and to see how others would weigh up the pros and cons of both. Any input much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

I'm kinda in the same situation. the Law School in UCD won't be up and running till 2014 so I heard so I think TCD would be stronger in terms of campus development and location. The lectures and degree will be the same in both colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

yournerd wrote: »
    I'm kinda in the same situation. the Law School in UCD won't be up and running till 2014 so I heard so I think TCD would be stronger in terms of campus development and location. The lectures and degree will be the same in both colleges.

In all fairness, where the law school is now is about a five minute walk from where the new school is opening. You'll have half a semester in the old Roebuck building, if any.

*retreats back to UCD forum*

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lauriangel

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there's any way of studying both English and Law in Trinity, I was looking at the website but it seems I can only study a certain amount of subjects with English (TSM), and the same with Law.
    Is there any way around that?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shopgirl195

Lauriangel wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if there's any way of studying both English and Law in Trinity, I was looking at the website but it seems I can only study a certain amount of subjects with English (TSM), and the same with Law.
    Is there any way around that?

Thanks!

Nope the 'Law and *Subjects' are stand alone degrees and not part of TSM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You can do law with arts in NUIM, and even if you did law with music technology (the admissions people in NUIM said to me that you can combine it, dont ask me why it's a thing), the degree's still accepted by King's Inn and I'd assume you'd be grand for the FE1s. No idea what the teaching is like though.

There's nothing quite like that in UCD or TCD, UCD has a couple of 'Law with' courses which just have you doing like 2 philosophy/economics/social justice/history/whatever modules and 3 law ones a semester. Dont know how well it balances or how well they complement each other, but it exists.

Advertisement