Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIT or UL to study to be an accountant

Options
  • 29-06-2013 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I want to become an accountant but I'm unsure wether to go to UL and study Business or go to LIT and study Accounting and Finance.
    Has anyone got any advice or has anyone done either courses? Really stuck and would appreciate some advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Haven't done either course, but have been to both ul and lit, my advice would be go to ul. Just go in and drive around the campus and you'll see why, lit is a dump.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Go and find out what exemptions you will get from the professional exams. There was a time you would get more exemptions from LIT than UL. UL wandered off doing their own thing and they didn't meet the standards the Accountancy bodies wanted. I don't know if that exists.

There was a similar situation for revenue/taxation where there were no exemptions from UL but the LIT course had some. I believe there was something similar for the teaching H dips also.

I don't know what the UL exemptions or standards are.

Just cos it ain't as pretty doesn't mean it isn't as good in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

I too have attended both institutions, found UL staff excellent by very very academic. In LIT I would say the lecturing staff are very practical, industry based with most having worked within the business world that the lecture on.
    One must remember that UL receives large volumes of cash from the US which allows it to have the facilities it has, LIT is excluded from this type of cash.

I agree with Figerty looks aren't everything, look at the success of those who completed the course. My understanding of accountancy course at LIT will give you a higher certificate at 2 years, a level 7 degree at 3 years and a Hons degree after 4 yrs......

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Technically, what matters most to become an accountant is exemptions.

Between UL and LIT you have 3 options:
    LIT: BBS in Accounting & Finance
    UL: BBS Accounting & Finance Major Option
    UL: BA Law and Accounting

All three give you the same general range of exemptions (for CAI, they all give identical CAP1 exemptions.) You need to research yourself what sort of exemptions each course gives for ACCA, CIMA, etc... Remember, which accounting body you may join in the future tends to depend more on your future employer and not on the one you have the most exemptions with. It's important that a course provides good exemptions with a range of accounting bodies.

LIT's program is 3 years. The two UL programs are 4 years. The primary difference is where you're studying and that both UL courses include a 6-8 month cooperative education placement (an internship)

If you really want to get into accounting, find a course that maximises your exemptions. Beyond that, choose a place you want to study in and provides the right environment for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Well on a purely social point of view, UL is the place to go, but thats not saying LIT is bad either, both are great craic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement