Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

Options
  • 29-06-2013 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭

Early buzz about this is very good. This game is out here in less than 2 weeks (July 12th), a full month before it comes out in the US.

This new trailer looks fantastic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I've preordered it and am really looking forward to it. The trailer looks great.

I really liked the first two Mario & Luigi games but for some reason didn't get Bowser's Inside Story.

I just hope it's not disappointing like Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Seems to be getting solid 8s and 9s across the board (with a 7 from Eurogamer and Edge being the lowest scores at the moment). I have it preordered so I'll be collecting it at lunchtime.

IGN: 8/10
    Eurogamer: 7/10
    Pocket Gamer: 9/10

The main criticism seems to be the amount of tutorials and hand-holding at the start (an option to turn it off for regulars to the series would have been a big plus).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I love the series but this will have to wait. I'll be picking up Shin Megami Tensei IV instead and getting this down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

stupid nintendo region locking bull**** still no release for eo4 and i dunno when i see smt 4 :(

with mario and luigi i might wait to see peoples thoughts here before deciding to buy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I've been playing it the last couple of days (thanks flubit) and I've been enjoying it so far. If you liked the previous Mario & Luigi games you'll probably like this one too.

I've played just over 4 hours now (about to head into first proper boss) and this is a fantastic game. AlphaDream have just built upon what they did with the other 3 M&L games - some people might think it's a bit lazy, but I like the familiarity. There are enough new tricks layered on top to keep things fresh and provide some surprises (challenges, new bros. attacks and the excellent dream levels for starters).

The main criticism from reviews (about overbearing tutorials) was a bit of a lame duck. I had no issue with them.

Great game and well worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

stupid nintendo region locking bull**** still no release for eo4 and i dunno when i see smt 4

EO dated, August 30th

11 hours in and this game is wonderful. I haven't even reached the 3rd rank up (out of 5), so this is on target to be a 25-30 hour game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

This is pretty awesome indeed :D

• Advertisement

I'm about 20 hours in, and I've heard it is 35-40 hours in total. A hard mode is unlocked at the end too, with tougher enemies and an item cap of 10 per type. There is a boss rush too. The amount of content in this game is ridiculous.

The cool thing is that they don't go with a conventional structure (Area, Boss, Area, Boss etc.) - they're constantly throwing curve balls to keep things interesting. I'm just finished
    Mount Pyjamarama and I'm trapped in the dream world. The volcano boss kicked my ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I'm about 18 hours in and I'm currently going through that area. I've absolutely loved it so far, especially the dream world segments. Dreamy Luigi is just brilliant. The dialogue as usual is excellent and really funny, as is the animation, especially Luigi's.
    I loved the fetch quest in Wakeport, the end result was just brilliant

@ Mr E
    What levels were you at doing the Volcano boss? I haven't been overly challenged by any bosses or anything yet so I'm curious about this battle. The most challenging part for me so far was beating the first of the challengers before you face Big Massif in 3 turns, that took me a few gos.

Yeah that 3 turn thing threw me too. I had to do the other 3 challengers first and do that one last (and even then I had to use perfect
    Luiginary attacks
    ).

I think both of my characters are level 21 at the moment? The boss I mentioned is one of the
    giant
    battles, so using Bros attacks and health items are pretty restricted and countering is harder than usual.

Oh and if the soundtrack ever pops up, I'll be grabbing it.
    This has the best music on the 3DS, no contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

I thought more posts be on this game. On level 30 and only 1 giant battle I had trouble with and the first boss.
    Favourite bit so far is doing the jig saws.
    Just looked up the last rank is level 40 for rainbow as can't get into a shop till rainbow level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Just finished it there in just under 42 hours. Great game but hated the last big Luigi fight as took over an hout trying to kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I just bought a 3ds a few days ago along with dream team, I'm about five hours in to it so far and it's brilliant! I like how the battles are a lot more interactive than previous mario RPG games. Best game I've played in ages by far.

Must get back to this... I'm on the last level, but I hear one of the final boss battles is a marathon.

Mr E wrote: »
    Must get back to this... I'm on the last level, but I hear one of the final boss battles is a marathon.

I finished it about 2 weeks ago. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it can be, but there is a way around it. I had just the right set up to make it fairly easy but otherwise it definitely would have taken ages.

I just bought a 3ds a few days ago along with dream team, I'm about five hours in to it so far and it's brilliant! I like how the battles are a lot more interactive than previous mario RPG games. Best game I've played in ages by far.

If you haven't played them, I'd recommend both DS games as well. They're both excellent as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Deano7788 wrote: »
    If you haven't played them, I'd recommend both DS games as well. They're both excellent as well.

I traded in both of mine for GTA V, plan on picking them up again on adverts down the line.
    :/

Just spent an hour on the final boss and lost.

;£$$£€€£%£$£$;$£@ we,rw'erw3q ojoijhgohaglkr glakglkklAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Ahem.

Done.... 55h 45m. Now that's good way to start the day. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Just spent an hour on the final boss and lost.

;£$$£€€£%£$£$;$£@ we,rw'erw3q ojoijhgohaglkr glakglkklAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Ahem.

I was like that after my first attempt until I figured out an easier way. There may have been a few more symbols involved though :pac:.

Really good game though. The 3DS has been ridiculous this year.

Advertisement