Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best laptop for €400 - €450

Options
  • 28-06-2013 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm just wondering what's the best laptop I can get for around €450.
    It's been years since I've bought a laptop so I'm a bit out of the loop with regards to what sites to avoid etc.

I'm basically looking for the best bang for my buck.
    Will be used mainly for arsing around online, college work, (MS Excel, Word, Powerpoint mainly) and light gaming (Football manager, few last gen games).

Are there any particular brands to avoid? Last time I bought an Acer from amazon and am still happy with it apart from the screen f*cking up! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

Heres a good laptop for that price range.
    Works out at around 445€ including delivery(10£)

Good spec for the money.

Heres another from Amazon, works out about 385€ delivered.

Its has a better processor but less ram.

I myself would definitely prefer a Asus to a Fujitsu but thats choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

What are SaveOnLaptops and LaptopsDirect like to use? A few years ago I was always warned to avoid them like the plague!

Have they improved?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

Ya they are good these days.
    There where you will find the best value.
    Not sure about delivery times, but last time from laptopsdirect, was less than a week.

You'll see most people linking to laptops from their sites on here.

Im really tempted to get that ASUS laptop, cracking spec for the price.
    Are asus still as reliable as they used to be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5089514.htm

Got this myself last week, for the exact same things you want them for. Runs like a dream, once you get used to Windows 8 that is. Worth the extra money i you want to spend that bit extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

ciano1 wrote: »
    What are SaveOnLaptops and LaptopsDirect like to use? A few years ago I was always warned to avoid them like the plague!

Have they improved?

Good prices ,but if your laptop gives a bit of trouble you are on your own .

What do you mean 'on your own'? Surely there's a manufacturers warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Courteous Addison

Well I think the HP and the DELL are the leading brands in laptops and you should find something in those brands. Because their products are good in quality and also in features I have a Dell laptop from one year and its working like new..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Stay away from HP.. cheap crap imo! They just don't last. ..Dell isn't bad..but can be slightly expensive.

I have no experience with the sites posted earlier..but have a look for the same kind of laptops in amazon, they have excellent customer service.

Well I think the HP and the DELL are the leading brands in laptops and you should find something in those brands. Because their products are good in quality and also in features I have a Dell laptop from one year and its working like new..

Thing I find about dell is that their cheaper laptops have an utterly sh*te build quality while the higher end ones are decent. I'm still keeping clear though as I've had 2 dells in the past and both died after 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I bought a Toshiba Satellite 850 recently €400 and is so slow. Really annoying:mad: I have brought it back once and complained, still slow. Mouse freezes, jumps from one program to another, when i use word I am suddenly in Kindle etc. Slow to open programs. Complete waste of money

Advertisement