Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone studied H.Dip in Arts in Geography at UCC?

Options
  • 28-06-2013 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi there,

I will be studying for a H.Dip in Geography at UCC this September 2013. I want to gain a second teaching subject! I'm just wondering what the workload is like, recommended modules to study or avoid and any other general information about the course?

Cheers,
    Muinteoir Staidear Gno

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 leo90

Hi there, could you tell how did you find the Higher diploma in Geography? I was thinking of doing it this year and would appreciate any information you would have about the course, what would be the best modules to take, how challenging it is ect. Also, how much lab or field work is involved, is it a definite aspect that must be done? Or is there a lot of science or statistics involved in this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

In the same boat. I'm planning on doing geography along with sociology, psychology & philosophy. Just wondering about it to b honest. Its a subject I loved in secondary school. Any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    In the same boat. I'm planning on doing geography along with sociology, psychology & philosophy. Just wondering about it to b honest. Its a subject I loved in secondary school. Any advice
    Hdip in geography is different to a general arts degree. A hdip as far as I'm aware is usually a one year course of 60 credits. In arts in UCC you take 4 subjects at 15 credits each is what you're probably talking about.

Anyway, I've just finished second year arts and one of my subjects is geography. I found geography in first year to be a very well interesting subject, especially culture geo because it was a totally different approach to cultural geography than schools. I thought it was easier than other subjects to accumulate a decent grade because of the amount continuous assessment. The CA is a blessing or curse because if you do the work you will do well, but if you don't you'll see it reflected in your final grade. One of the things I love about geography is the variety of subjects there is, you'll have a lot of different lectures with different specialties which is great. I found the tutorials invaluable to my academic development at university to go to as many of them as you can. The lecturers are approachable, go to them if you need help or just want to know if you're going in the right direction with assignments. You won't get the same amount of help that was available at school though, but if you put in a good effort they will help you out, they won't do the assignment for you! If you decide to take geography in second year you will have many of the same lecturers you will have had in first year but with some new faces so getting to know the staff can be useful at times in regard to asking them questions about assignments etc. The lecturers also make links between cultural, economic and physical geography and they are not studied in total isolation which is nice.

As a general piece of advice about doing arts, go to as many of the introductory lectures that you can to make sure that you have picked subjects that interest you as having to study something in so much detail and not like what you're doing is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Thank you u so much Nicole. This information has been very useful

Advertisement