Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College Fees 2013/14 help!!

Options
  • 28-06-2013 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

I'm hoping to go back to college this September to study commerce in UCD (I will be 22 starting the course).

I was originally studying business studies - level 6/7 in 2010 in DIT but due to immaturity etc I dropped out. This was back in 2010/11 academic year - the year after this I completed a FETAC course in businesses studies (BBSXX) where I did quite well and now have the grades to apply for commerce amongst other courses. This year I got offered a job in a very highly renowned financial sector firm and have done quite well, they wanted to keep me on and pay to complete my course part time but HR put a stop to it as you have to have a degree before applying for a permanent position.
    So it's not as if I have just sat around since dropping out, I wanted to turn my life around and not just sit at home doing nothing!

I'm just unsure as to how much my fees will be this year? Are they full fees? I was talking to someone earlier who dropped out of a level 6/7 cert course like myself and went back to college and didn't have to pay full fees as he hasn't attended a level 8 degree course previously. I've also heard because I have successfully completed a FETAC course that it's a natural progression onto college and therefore the full fees won't apply for me.

Just generally confused overall as I have heard different answers. Does anyone know for sure how much I would have to pay? Or know anywhere I can ask? As I don't want to ask the college themselves as they will earmark it and I may then be subject to full fees!

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭MarkyMark22

Rugbyfan91 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I'm hoping to go back to college this September to study commerce in UCD (I will be 22 starting the course).

I was originally studying business studies - level 6/7 in 2010 in DIT but due to immaturity etc I dropped out. This was back in 2010/11 academic year - the year after this I completed a FETAC course in businesses studies (BBSXX) where I did quite well and now have the grades to apply for commerce amongst other courses. This year I got offered a job in a very highly renowned financial sector firm and have done quite well, they wanted to keep me on and pay to complete my course part time but HR put a stop to it as you have to have a degree before applying for a permanent position.
    So it's not as if I have just sat around since dropping out, I wanted to turn my life around and not just sit at home doing nothing!

I'm just unsure as to how much my fees will be this year? Are they full fees? I was talking to someone earlier who dropped out of a level 6/7 cert course like myself and went back to college and didn't have to pay full fees as he hasn't attended a level 8 degree course previously. I've also heard because I have successfully completed a FETAC course that it's a natural progression onto college and therefore the full fees won't apply for me.

Just generally confused overall as I have heard different answers. Does anyone know for sure how much I would have to pay? Or know anywhere I can ask? As I don't want to ask the college themselves as they will earmark it and I may then be subject to full fees!

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks

I could be wrong, but I think if you're attending a higher level course you should receive a grant. Have you tried ringing SUSI?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rugbyfan91

I could be wrong, but I think if you're attending a higher level course you should receive a grant. Have you tried ringing SUSI?

Haven't talked to them at all yet! The closing date to apply for a grant is Monday, so better apply tomorrow and then call them on Monday to double check.

Rugbyfan91 wrote: »
    Haven't talked to them at all yet! The closing date to apply for a grant is Monday, so better apply tomorrow and then call them on Monday to double check.

Yeah, it's better to apply now in case you miss the deadline, if you miss the deadline it wouldn't matter if you were eligible or not as you wouldn't be capable of applying!

Best of luck! Let us know how you get on :)

P.S have you tried searching through threads on here and google? I'm sure there have been many people in your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Hi

I would suggest ring this section in the department of education and ask there

http://www.education.ie/en/The-Department/Management-Organisation/Higher-Education-Research-and-Finance-Section.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement