Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Indian Restaurant

Options
  • 28-06-2013 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hey Foodies,

I'm heading to London in a few weeks and would love to check out a great Indian place. Similar to the place in Dundrum (Ananda).

Would anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭NeitherJohn

I ate in Mela Restaurant over Christmas. Quite nice. Bit pricey but big portions!

It's on 156 Shaftesbury Ave. I think I got off the Tube at Tottenham Court Road and walked it form there. It's near enough to the Shaftesbury Theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

can't vouch for quality but you could always head to Brick Lane for some quantity (for the uninitiated it's a street full of Indian restaurants)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭macl

McG wrote: »
    can't vouch for quality but you could always head to Brick Lane for some quantity (for the uninitiated it's a street full of Indian restaurants)

Thanks - but I'm looking for something more up market this time around.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

OP I've moved this to the London forum because I'm sure you'll get a lot more helpful replies in here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Unless you've got a specific recommendation there's a good chance you'll get cheap and rubbish curry in Brick Lane; its reputation means you get lots of tourists heading there (including drunk ones) and that means that some places cater to them rather than to a more refined palate.

Given the size of London, though, you'd want to tell us whereabouts you'll be going rather than getting recommendations across the other side of the city - I've had a couple of very nice curries here, but I wouldn't be arsed going all the way across town for one; good curryhouses aren't rare here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭macl

Good shout - I recon I'll be based in the city - around Marble arch / Mayfair. Don't mind riding the tube for a few stops though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I had a lovely meal 5 years ago in a restaurant in Kensington. I have forgotten the name of the restaurant but any Indian restaurant around Kensington will be right up your street.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

skimpydoo wrote: »
    I had a lovely meal 5 years ago in a restaurant in Kensington. I have forgotten the name of the restaurant but any Indian restaurant around Kensington will be right up your street.

That is, uh, not how recommendations are usually made o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

McG wrote: »

Full of bad, Bangladeshi restaurants. I'd head to Tayyabs in Whitechapel instead, if you're over the east end if the city. Pakistani place, great tandoori stuff.

If you're down south, Tooting Broadway (northern line) has some great value South Indian restaurants. You'll get fantastic food & well fed for under £10, though I'd call it authentic rather than upmarket.

Aside from that Dishum is a good option in central or Shoreditch & Masala Zone (all over) is much better than it sounds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Zeera in Ealing is beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭5unflower

For Michelin star Indian food you could always try Benares or Tamarind, both in Mayfair. I think Tamarind is the slightly more affordable option of the two.

If you're round Kilburn, Ruchi has great food and is very wallet-friendly to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Fysh wrote: »
    That is, uh, not how recommendations are usually made o_O
    I know that but the op was looking for a fancy Indian and you will find loads in Kensington.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Maharaji or Mahasomething in Soho is quite good if you want something central. Brick Lane can be good, there's a place called Cinnamon, if you can part the sea of hawkers like Moses and get over there somehow, and it's BYO and cheap as chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i would recommend Benares in mayfair. its expensive but the food is really amazing. best indian ive ever eaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Maharaji or Mahasomething in Soho is quite good if you want something central. Brick Lane can be good, there's a place called Cinnamon, if you can part the sea of hawkers like Moses and get over there somehow, and it's BYO and cheap as chips.

Cinnamon is good. Next door to it is a place called Aladin's which is also great. Basically the pair of them are the best in Brick Lane in my opinion and if you look them up you'll see they always end up in the top of any list for the area.

In Whitechapel you have Tayyabs and the Needo Grill and they are for more authentic Pakistani cuisine. They are also really cheap and the grub is absolutely fantastic. Get the lamb chops.

I was in the East London and Brick Lane mosques last week as part of a delegation and funnily enough everyone there said most places in Brick Lane were dog-sh*t and Tayyabs etc isn't anywhere near the best place to go in their opinions. Cue a massive debate in Bengali about where the best grub in town is!

Personally I think the best "Indian" (and I'm a curry fanatic) is Jeshaan's in Turnpike Lane. It's a dodgy area and the decor is awful but the food in there is second to none. No vindaloos or any of that sh*t; it's all real stuff. Spiced leg of lamb, grilled fish, prawn rice etc. It's the absolute b*llocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

FTA69 wrote: »
    It's a dodgy area and the decor is awful

The two most important things to look for when looking for good India cuisine!

Just spent an afternoon with a Punjabi Sikh (via Greave's End!) from our IT department and we had a good discussion on proper Indian food. I mentioned that I spoke with Bangladeshis in Brick Lane mosque and they said Tayyabs was only fair and he was incredulous. He says Tayyabs is easily one of the best restaurants in the country and serves proper Punjabi food that attracts Pakistanis and Indians from all over London; and what would Bengalis know anyway because half of their restaurants only serve up slop to p*ssheads.

It's too difficult to get a consensus I think. I've been to Tayyabs and it's one of the best munches I've ever had.

Go to Tayyabs. You won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I second Tayyabs...................Any place that has a guy out front with a fluorescent jacket with 'Tayyabs Crowd Control' written on it has to be good!!

I sh1t you not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

What's the kebab shop in brick lane? It isn't actually a kebab shop, bit it's called the Bengali kebab shop or something like that.

• Advertisement

frag420 wrote: »
    I second Tayyabs...................Any place that has a guy out front with a fluorescent jacket with 'Tayyabs Crowd Control' written on it has to be good!!

I sh1t you not!!

Make a booking and go early, like straight after work and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I had a lovely meal 5 years ago in a restaurant in Kensington. I have forgotten the name of the restaurant...
    Zaika? Yep, that might the kind of thing the OP's after:

http://www.zaika-restaurant.com

I ate there once. Food was good, but expensive and it is a well posh place. Staff were a bit arsey too, to be honest.
    ...but any Indian restaurant around Kensington will be right up your street.
    I wouldn't agree with that at all. I lived near Earl's Court for a few months and good restaurants in the general Kensington area are few and far between - almost everything is a chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭maggiep2010

Tayyabs without a doubt... upmarket it isn't, but the food is amazing... as is the queue, so book it!!

Went there yesterday, lamb and lentil curry and a roti with authentic apples juice for ten bucks on the nose.

Handy number.

What's the kebab shop in brick lane? It isn't actually a kebab shop, bit it's called the Bengali kebab shop or something like that.

Lahore, it's Punjabi and its a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭woof im a dog

for something a bit different try bombay burrito in angel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Is in Whitechapel, but agree that it is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cheetara

I'm glad someone mentioned this place.....I would recommend it above Tayyabs (controversial I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

if anyone is based in north London near Turnpike Lane then I recommend Thali Thal indian take away. It delivers too and is soooo worth it, the food is delish and the portion size are big. Only time I have never finished an indian meal is when I order from here, makes for a great leftover lunch the next day!!

Nyom nyom nyom nyom

frAg

• Advertisement

Holy Cow takeaway is also savage, they have branches all over London and they're delicious. Real good quality grub.

Advertisement