Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reformatting Laptop, Same W7 Key?

Options
  • 28-06-2013 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Recently got the Black screen where I can't log on and can only see cursor. Safe mode doesn't work either and system repair doesn't seem to work. Also my backups for some reason aren't working. So I'm resigned to reformatting and starting from scratch using Toshiba HDD recovery. Luckily I was able to copy all my important files to an external HDD using command prompt so not as bad as it could have been.

I'm just wondering will the product key for windows 7 on the bottom of my laptop be valid for reinstallation. Same computer as I got it with.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

Whats the laptop model?
    Some reserve HD space for a recovery partition, allowing you to start afresh from the day you bought it.

On some, you need to access the boot device menu, usually F10 or F12, and select Recovery Volume or something along those lines.

This will guide you through a reinstall without the need for Windows Disk, or entering serial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

mcw92 wrote: »
    Whats the laptop model?
    Some reserve HD space for a recovery partition, allowing you to start afresh from the day you bought it.

On some, you need to access the boot device menu, usually F10 or F12, and select Recovery Volume or something along those lines.

This will guide you through a reinstall without the need for Windows Disk, or entering serial.

It's a Toshiba C660. I get to the Hard drive Recovery from pressing f8 and booting system repair. Toshiba HDD recovery appears as one of the options. It says it will restore to basically the day I bought it. Just wanted to make sure before I tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

Risteard wrote: »
    It's a Toshiba C660. I get to the Hard drive Recovery from pressing f8 and booting system repair. Toshiba HDD recovery appears as one of the options. It says it will restore to basically the day I bought it. Just wanted to make sure before I tried it.

Yes this will be what you want to do. This will delete all files/programs/updates you have put on since you got the laptop.
    It will be as if you are turning on the laptop for the first time again.

AFAIK it should already be activated once you do this, but anyways the serial on the bottom will work just in case it isn't.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

mcw92 wrote: »
    Yes this will be what you want to do. This will delete all files/programs/updates you have put on since you got the laptop.
    It will be as if you are turning on the laptop for the first time again.

AFAIK it should already be activated once you do this, but anyways the serial on the bottom will work just in case it isn't.

Good luck.

Crisis averted. Everything sorted out. Now just have to go about making it back the way it was.

Advertisement