Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spooky Locations in / near Dublin for a shoot ...

Options
  • 28-06-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

I know I'm going to get a few mad answers to this but but here goes anyhow ...

Looking to do an outdoors shoot for classic old style 'Dracula' type scenes ... think bare stone castle wall / castle steps / castle archway / arched window / cobbled ground etc - not a graveyard ;) - .. heroine carrying lit candlestick .. Dracula stalking / watching etc etc .. using small smoke machine and small wind fan running from a genny for effects ... needs to be somewhere not too public as probably impossible to get permission for a setup like this ..

Any ideas? -

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭kevc2

Around Trim castle would be good, there's other old building and stuff around it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

There's a round tower and open roof church near me in maynooth which might be ideal

Also, the hell fire club up the tallaght mountains

The hellfire would be perfect but it would be hard to bring a generator up the hill. I was up there recently at night and got lost coming back down, lots of fog, took over an hour to get back.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Bective Abbey near Trim would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 seamie mac

Thanks, heard good things about Trim Castle - so worth a scouting trip!

• Advertisement

Thanks Tallon,

Any more specific directions or a sat nav location - so I can visit on a recce?

Tallon / Kevc2, Offshoot likely going up to Hellfire over summer so I'll watch out for that - if it's sometimes foggy mightn't need the genny... ;)

Thanks pullandbang, one of the guys in the club swears Bective is a perfect spot.

To all who replied - much appreciated. I'll check out all your suggestions.

seamie mac wrote: »
    Thanks Tallon,

Any more specific directions or a sat nav location - so I can visit on a recce?

Here: http://goo.gl/maps/r0y2M

The only reason I suggested it, is because it's very easy access.

T6ozieD.jpg

Tallon, definitely fills the ease of access need and looks very promising!! Thanks for the pic.

• Advertisement

If you end up going, let me know and I'll offer you a cuppa :) I live not far from there

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

Another great spot would be Baldongan Castle near Skerries

bal7.jpg

Originally the Knights Templar built this castle in the 13th century on the site of an ancient dún (fort). All that remains is the walls of the Castle/church and an old cemetery. All four sides of the church remain, apart from a large gap in one wall. It is somewhat sunken into the surrounding ground so is should not have much wine for the effects you mention. There is easy access with parking on the road outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

Hill of slane and the monastic city in glendalough easy enough for permission there

seamie mac wrote: »
    Tallon / Kevc2, Offshoot likely going up to Hellfire over summer so I'll watch out for that - if it's sometimes foggy mightn't need the genny... ;)

This might sound silly but what's offshoot?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

kevc2 wrote: »
    This might sound silly but what's offshoot?

Offshoot Camera Club in Cabinteely.

All, thanks for the new suggestions ... My scouting list grows :)

Kevc2 - Offshoot is a photography club in South Dublin. One of the regular things we do is called Walk With Me - where one member organises a theme / project / outing and takes along 4 or 5 other interested members. I did one before on strobist with an 80's horror theme .. We set up 5 scenes from films like Friday the 13th etc ... It was a great laugh. So hence Dracula this time ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

There is St Audoens Church in town but you'd probably have to pay an arm and a leg to shoot outside tourist opening hours.

http://www.heritageireland.ie/en/dublin/staudoenschurch/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Agree with cyberspider about Baldungan. The group I am in often go there for night shoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Christchurch / St. Patrick's Cathedral area for a street shoot, go mid-week after 4am when they're all staggering home from a club

Thanks Hytrogen, sounds too scary for me ;) - might be useful for a Zombie shoot ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement