Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has a lion ever played against his current club while on tour?

Options
  • 28-06-2013 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Been thinking there... Has a Lion that had been playing his club rugby in the Southern hemisphere, in the country that the Lions were touring in, ever had to play against his team mates at the time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,854 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm not certain, but a few reasons why I sincerely doubt it.

The number of northie players ever to play Super / Currie / ITM level could probably be counted on two hands. Personally I can only think of Michalak, Cappucino and Califano.

Leaving aside the occasional bolter, most Lions are playing at test level for the 4 nations, or at the very least a high profile in the European Cup. They would not be selected if playing in the South.

In the amateur era, players scarcely tranferred between clubs let alone across borders, or hemispheres. Being a Lion required a leave of absence from a job in your home country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The number of northie players ever to play Super / Currie / ITM level could probably be counted on two hands. Personally I can only think of Michalak, Cappucino and Califano.

Sean Maitland played for the Crusaders, Brad Barritt played with the Natal Sharks, Riki Flutey played for Wellington Lions. It will probably happen in the future, but I doubt it has happened.

EDIT: Nvm, misread the question. I don't think that will ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The closest that ever happened, in my mind, would have been Peter Clohessy being called up to the Lions in 1997 when playing for the Queensland Reds. Obviously, the Lions were touring South Africa that year. That's the closest, in my recollection, of a someone playing in the southern hemisphere appearing for the Lions.

As it turned out, Clohessy hurt his back, Paul Wallace was called up as a replacement and has made a handsome career on the back of that tour!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

James Haskell could under up playing some old team mates in 2017 I guess?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Larbre34 wrote: »

Ed O'Donoghue :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Tom Court played for Queensland Reds. has to be the closest?

edit, old team clearly, not current sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Had there been a couple of backrow injuries it wouldnt have been inconceivable that Delve would've gotten a call up like Court or Williams, amazing when you think of it how injury free the backrow has been, Croft took a knock against the Force and thats it apart from Warbs pre-tour injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Given the fact that SH players tend to move north a hell of a lot more than NH players move south, I don't think it will ever happen. The financial gap is widening and widening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The closest we may get will be if Richardt Strauss hasn't retired and makes it to a squad for a yet to be arranged tour of South Africa that plays the Free State, a non Super 14's team.

Yes, straws are being grasped here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Isn't flutey the only man ever to play for and against the lions?

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Isn't flutey the only man ever to play for and against the lions?

Hook joined him this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Woody1997

Buer wrote: »
    Hook joined him this year.

Did peel get on in that match?

Woody1997 wrote: »
    Did peel get on in that match?

Wasn't in the 23 for that one.

Advertisement