Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus vs Samsung laptop

Options
  • 28-06-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi am looking at buying a new laptop and am undecided between Asus or samsung both laptops have the same specs and same price. What I would like to know is which one is more reliable? I am not concerned with gaming will be used mainly for college work.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭mcw92

richfly wrote: »
    Hi am looking at buying a new laptop and am undecided between Asus or samsung both laptops have the same specs and same price. What I would like to know is which one is more reliable? I am not concerned with gaming will be used mainly for college work.

What are the laptop models? Links?

Could come down to the certain models build quality, upgradability etc.

You are aware they are both refurbished units yes?
    Just making sure you know.
    There would more than likely be no difference from them brand new as they are A1 grade as it says.

Delivery from there is an extra ~20€.
    So your looking at about €350 in total.

Also the Samsung has a slightly better processor.

Ive found one on saveonlaptops,
    Acer

It works out at about 370€ delivered. Delivery is extra 10£ or so.
    As for specs, it has a better processor than both you mentioned, although it only has 4GB ram, but that is fine for the work you mentioned.
    The main difference is this will be brand new, not refurbished.

If you dont like the look, here is another, very nice looking imo,
    Asus

It works out at about 360€ delivered, but has a slightly worse processor.
    But it has a better battery, weighs less ,and has a smaller screen size which is all perfect for college use if you plan on bringing it to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭richfly

mcw92 wrote: »
    You are aware they are both refurbished units yes?
    Just making sure you know.
    There would more than likely be no difference from them brand new as they are A1 grade as it says.

Delivery from there is an extra ~20€.
    So your looking at about €350 in total.i

Also the Samsung has a slightly better processor.

Ive found one on saveonlaptops,
    Acer

It works out at about 370€ delivered. Delivery is extra 10£ or so.
    As for specs, it has a better processor than both you mentioned, although it only has 4GB ram, but that is fine for the work you mentioned.
    The main difference is this will be brand new, not refurbished.

If you dont like the look, here is another, very nice looking imo,
    Asus

It works out at about 360€ delivered, but has a slightly worse processor.
    But it has a better battery, weighs less ,and has a smaller screen size which is all perfect for college use if you plan on bringing it to college.

Ye I know there refurbished I'm on a bit of a budget just trying to get the best for my money + trying to stay away from windows 8.

Thanks for the links on those laptops will def check them out.

What experience have you had with Acer laptops heard mixed reviews.

• Advertisement

Ye I know there refurbished I'm on a bit of a budget just trying to get the best for my money + trying to stay away from windows 8.

Thanks for the links on those laptops will def check them out.

What experience have you had with Acer laptops heard mixed reviews.

Ive had no personal experience with them, but my brother bought one and was grand.

I would definitely prefer the Asus to the Acer, Much nicer looking imo, build quality certainly looks better but i haven't looked up any reviews on the two yet.

mcw92 wrote: »
    Ive had no personal experience with them, but my brother bought one and was grand.

I would definitely prefer the Asus to the Acer, Much nicer looking imo, build quality certainly looks better but i haven't looked up any reviews on the two yet.

OK will check reviews myself. Thanks very much for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I've had experience with Acer laptops and towers. Towers seem fine.

Laptops start to fail due to heating issues. Last laptop died at about the 4 year mark. Another one is on it's way out, and is only at the 3 year mark.
    Mind you the heating is a common issue among laptops.

But I've also had experience with two asus, one failed at 5/6 year mark. The other is still going and it's at 6/7 years now.
    Stick with asus ;)

I have no real experience with samsungs, cept they seem to have good customer service.

I've had experience with Acer laptops and towers. Towers seem fine.

Laptops start to fail due to heating issues. Last laptop died at about the 4 year mark. Another one is on it's way out, and is only at the 3 year mark.
    Mind you the heating is a common issue among laptops.

But I've also had experience with two asus, one failed at 5/6 year mark. The other is still going and it's at 6/7 years now.
    Stick with asus ;)

I have no real experience with samsungs, cept they seem to have good customer service.

Thank you for that. I have heard good and bad things about both brands. But I am siding towards Asus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Samsungs are decent though I've come across more than Asus in terms of hardware failures like GPU or CPU problems from overheating, though a lot of times that's due to clogged dirt at the fan that's never taken care of.

Main thing I don't like about Asus is that I find a lot of the laptop shells tend to be flimsy. A common problem (as well as some Acer + Packard Bell models since they share the same base design) is that the housing keeping the screws in the hinges tend to snap, leaving you with a wobbly screen and the top cover around the keyboard lifting up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 victorpaul1

If i have to recommend then always prefer to Samsung Brand. I have been using same brand from last 5 years.

Advertisement