Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GP- additional charge query for Med Card patient?

Options
  • 28-06-2013 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I have a full medical card and had to go to my new GP with my driving licence renewal form to say I was fit to drive. She told me that it is common practice to charge full GP visit charges (€50) for the filling in of this form, despite the fact that I have a full medical card. Is this true? I have never had to pay for anything in the GP's since I got the card, so am wondering if she is just chancing her arm!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

ElleEm wrote: »
    I have a full medical card and had to go to my new GP with my driving licence renewal form to say I was fit to drive. She told me that it is common practice to charge full GP visit charges (€50) for the filling in of this form, despite the fact that I have a full medical card. Is this true? I have never had to pay for anything in the GP's since I got the card, so am wondering if she is just chancing her arm!

I'm almost certain that it doesn't come under the medical card.

Citizensinformation.ie doesn't say it per se but does allude to it:
    Among the services that the GP must provide for medical card holders are:
    There are certain services that GPs are not obliged to provide free of charge, for example, eye tests for a driving licence or for life assurance.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/gp_services/gp_services_to_medical_card_holders.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The drivers license medical is not covered by the medical card/GMS scheme so unfortunately you do have to pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

RobFowl wrote: »
    The drivers license medical is not covered by the medical card/GMS scheme so unfortunately you do have to pay for it.

I had my eyes tested separately, and the "medical" was her just asking me to wiggle my feet (I have MS). I just thought it was a bit much. I actually went yesterday, then today she said that there should have been a charge, but would only charge me half, as she hadn't told me in the first place. When I queried this, she actually said she would just waiver the fee all together. That's what left me confused! Thanks for the input though, I will know for future!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

ElleEm wrote: »
    I had my eyes tested separately, and the "medical" was her just asking me to wiggle my feet (I have MS). I just thought it was a bit much. I actually went yesterday, then today she said that there should have been a charge, but would only charge me half, as she hadn't told me in the first place. When I queried this, she actually said she would just waiver the fee all together. That's what left me confused! Thanks for the input though, I will know for future!

TBH a lot of GP's don't charge but this is at their own discretion. The form is also a declaration of health/fitness based on your medical records not just an examination btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

RobFowl wrote: »
    TBH a lot of GP's don't charge but this is at their own discretion. The form is also a declaration of health/fitness based on your medical records not just an examination btw.

A lot of services GP offer are not covered by medical card

Fitness to drive certification being one, it is not a medical treatment, like it or not driving is not a requirement for most people and not required medically to ensure fitness for the absolute majority of people

similar applies for certs to say fit to go to GYM, fit to travel on holiday etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement