Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus 'Sales'.

Options
  • 28-06-2013 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

These continue to be nowhere near a sale. For example, have been pricing flying to the US, to Orlando, NY and Atlanta. Competitors, US Airways, Delta, KLM, etc, are in the 450-500 bracket for all flights. Aer Lingus, by comparison, are in the 700-1000 price range. With sale.

Aer Lingus have shown time and time again that their sales are anything but. Overpriced to begin with, and can never find the 'cheap' flights that they advertise except for maybe one or two dates throughout their 'promotional' timeframe.

Its disgraceful. We as customers demand value for money. In terms of flights to the US, Aer Lingus never provides this, even through sales. Its truly part of Rip Off Ireland, and one that I do not support financially. My money, for the last few times I have been to the US, has gone to Delta or US Airways. And will until Aer Lingus actually try to become more competitive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I intentionally avoid Aer Lingus, even if it costs me slightly more, just because of this BS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

AerLingus have no incentive to be competitive for the Irish consumer.
    They are flying full planes transatlantic and are getting more UK&Europe passengers who are attracted by lower departure fees and US pre-clearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Snubb is correct.

We are all pained by the endless Aer Lingus 'fake sales'.

However at the end of the day they are doing very well.
    Trans-atlantic they face very little competition and their planes are quite full.
    There is no need for them to price below the €500 mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Not just their US routes. The last few times I've flown to the UK, I've found them to be way more expensive than Ryanair. Previously I always would have chosen Aerlingus, as the price difference was minimal for a better experience. But now over my last few bookings, their prices are way more out of Shannon or Knock compared with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,505 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not a "fake sale" if the prices are actually reduced - which they are. People don't complain when Brown Thomas's sale doesn't make things cheaper than Debenhams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

MYOB wrote: »
    Its not a "fake sale" if the prices are actually reduced - which they are. People don't complain when Brown Thomas's sale doesn't make things cheaper than Debenhams.

This, like so many other Aer Lingus sales was a "Fake Sale"

That is the thing with Aer Lingus more often than not the price is not reduced.

At the time of the first post in this thread it was the start of a sale. I had checked the price that morning for a flight which for 2 people return was €570. I got the email about the sale an hour later and when I looked the same flights were €680.

I fly quite a bit and I would be on their website a couple of times a week, so I have a good idea of their before and during and after sale prices. In fact back in March or April the price of one flight I was looking to book went up by 22% for the exact duration of a sale and then fell back down to the price before the sale.

Aer Lingus use a ploy that has been used for years by sales people. Tell people something is on sale and they will buy it irrespective of the price.

Airlines should be made do like shops have to do and say (or show) when a price was at the higher level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

But this is the thing; Ive taken my business elsewhere, to Delta, KLM and other transatlantic carriers. Until Aer Lingus get competitive, I'll continue to go elsewhere. Thankfully most people use skyscanner these days and can see when they are being ripped off. Makes me question that full planes part though. I would somehow doubt it.

All airlines use yield management pricing - one more seat bought can highly increase the price of the next.

If you seriously believe they're mis-stating load factors I suggest you inform the ODCE as they're a critical part of their financial statements. Otherwise you're making a baseless allegation of fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

All airlines use yield management pricing - one more seat bought can highly increase the price of the next.

I understand the way airlines operate but that does not explain why prices regularly go up when there is a sale and come back down after the sale.
    If you seriously believe they're mis-stating load factors I suggest you inform the ODCE as they're a critical part of their financial statements.

Sorry I never mentioned “load factors”
    Otherwise you're making a baseless allegation of fraud

I am not making any allegations of fraud. I only said that
    bigjohn66 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus use a ploy that has been used for years by sales people. Tell people something is on sale and they will buy it irrespective of the price.

There is nothing illegal about that and I also said.
    Airlines should be made do like shops have to do and say (or show) when a price was at the higher level.

The load factors response was to a different user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pundy

the Aer lingus flights to US/Orlando etc are more expensive because there are no stopovers involved. they fly direct and that is why you pay more for the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭keithclancy

They do good deals every so often

http://www.holidaypirates.com/flights/flights-from-united-kingdom-to-new-york-for-only-384-round-trip-incl-taxes

Plus the Pre Clearance is a bonus.

Short haul though I couldn't care less who the airline is, under 3 hours there could be a naked trumpet man playing a song and I stick on noise isolating headphones and watch a movie anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would agree with Keith, I have hit on good deals with AL, got two flights to Boston in a sale in 2011 for €895. The price the week before had been approx €1100. I think the sales are genuine, but as MYOB says, the unusual pricing matrix for airlines can make it difficult to see what the reductions are.

I will check AL and also all the other carriers, whichever is cheapest and still has reasonable flight times gets my business. Simple.

Eh, that's from the UK. They are pricing flights cheaper in a different market to attract more transit customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

I've never managed to find any of the sale prices aer lingus email me about :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I wish I could afford to go on a plane. Sadly, I don't even have that problem, but yes, it is expensive.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Eh, that's from the UK. They are pricing flights cheaper in a different market to attract more transit customers.

You mean like KLM wheres it cheaper to book a flight return from Heathrow to the US and just get off in Amsterdam wasting the last leg rather than book a more expensive return flight direct from Amsterdam.

:rolleyes:

You mean like KLM wheres it cheaper to book a flight return from Heathrow to the US and just get off in Amsterdam wasting the last leg rather than book a more expensive return flight direct from Amsterdam.
    Yes.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Yes.

And what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

I was looking up flights to Lisbon for the New Year recently, they were 199 euro. So I was delighted when i heard about the "sale" on the radio last week, gone UP to 229 !!! Checked today 259 !!! What a joke :mad::mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

rodge68 wrote: »
    I was looking up flights to Lisbon for the New Year recently, they were 199 euro. So I was delighted when i heard about the "sale" on the radio last week, gone UP to 229 !!! Checked today 259 !!! What a joke :mad::mad::mad:

Hardly a joke, how do you know that a group of 10 people booked tickets on your dates when they heard about the sale before you? and 5 more people bought them for €229 putting the prices to €259.

Aer Lingus work the exact same way as any other airline. x amount of tickets for y price, when they are bought they have x amount of tickets for z price etc.. etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,980 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You do that with a point-to-point ticket and your return legs are cancelled.

3DataModem wrote: »
    You do that with a point-to-point ticket and your return legs are cancelled.

Indeed, only possible on the last leg.

Even then I wouldn't chance it with Check-in luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

double GG, point taken.. It's just when I heard the word SALE i was hoping to get the flight cheaper. I will have to be on the ball a bit quicker in future !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

This, like so many other Aer Lingus sales was a "Fake Sale"

That is the thing with Aer Lingus more often than not the price is not reduced.

At the time of the first post in this thread it was the start of a sale. I had checked the price that morning for a flight which for 2 people return was €570. I got the email about the sale an hour later and when I looked the same flights were €680.

Every airline site has a similar system. Clear your cookies or open a new browser (if using explorer, open chrome or firefox) key in the details and watch the price drop.

Airlines know you shop around. If you leave their site for a couple of hours (cookies give the site the info) the price will rise as it suggests you cam back after not finding a better price. You then think "I better book this cos it might rise again" - no better or worse than any selling tactics from many companies. At least they don;t do the laughable DFS sofa style - "after event price €6trillion - save 90%" (some people actually ARE fooled by this!)

sandin wrote: »
    Every airline site has a similar system. Clear your cookies or open a new browser (if using explorer, open chrome or firefox) key in the details and watch the price drop.

Airlines know you shop around. If you leave their site for a couple of hours (cookies give the site the info) the price will rise as it suggests you cam back after not finding a better price. You then think "I better book this cos it might rise again" - no better or worse than any selling tactics from many companies. At least they don;t do the laughable DFS sofa style - "after event price €6trillion - save 90%" (some people actually ARE fooled by this!)

If that was the case then Skyscanner and the other screen scrapers would suffer from the same problem.

I'm sceptical to be honest, never have seen it happen, usually its because the person waited around to book the flight and is annoyed the price went up and they invent a reason as to why it happened other than waiting until the price went up due to someone else booking the seat.

Some airlines have favorable terms and conditions in the event the price drops after you book it, which can happen due to empty seats close to the departure date of the flight.

E.G. Easyjet:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions#a26
    26.1 If You have, or the Booker on Your behalf has, made a Booking directly through the Website and You, or the Booker, subsequently find that lower fares (when taken together with all applicable fees and charges) for the same easyJet Flight have become available, You will be refunded the difference as a credit voucher against future Flights on easyJet. The only exception to this “price promise” is if the lower fares have been offered as part of a promotional offer that is launched after You have purchased the Flight. For the avoidance of doubt, this Article 26 will not apply to any Booking made on Your behalf by any licensed third party booking systems (e.g.: travel agents, screen scrapers) or through easyJet’s Call Centre.

To me it wouldn't make sense for them to do what you claim and have this policy in their Terms and Conditions.

Clearing your cookies would indicate higher demand and increase prices, not lower them. The dynamic systems the airlines use don't track individual cookies, its just a demand rating system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Clearing your cookies would indicate higher demand and increase prices, not lower them. The dynamic systems the airlines use don't track individual cookies, its just a demand rating system.

try it and see.

Software these days can do almost anything.

I don't know whether its set with particular parameters such as 24 hours or whatever, but it is built into their systems.

try it and see.

Software these days can do almost anything.

I don't know whether its set with particular parameters such as 24 hours or whatever, but it is built into their systems.

Its not :) Its a demand based system.

• Advertisement

I try it all the time.

Price goes up at home

Price goes up at the same time on a completely unrelated computer in a different country.

Advertisement