Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Cooking Club Week 25: Chicken Parmigiana (Sort of)

Options
  • 28-06-2013 2:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭

This is a bit of a rushed recipe, even though I was super prepared and took pictures of my adventures in cooking ages ago. I'm away from home at the moment. But here goes.
    This is a recipe for lazy Chicken Parmigiana, for when you want chicken with all the melty cheese and rich tomatey goodness but none of the beating things with a rolling pin and faffing about with breadcrumbs.

Ingredients:
    • Chicken breasts for all. I used 6 because we cook enough for dinner and then lunch the next day.
    • Mozzarella - 150g or so. (or as much cheese as you desire)
    • Fresh Basil (It's worth it)
    • Makings for a simple tomato sauce
      • Tin tomatoes
      • salt
      • onion
      • garlic
      • olive oil
    • Cheese to sprinkle on top. Parmesan would probably be best here. I used cheddar because I am broke. It was still really tasty.
    Ingredients assembled!
    PUX2w2Cl.jpg
    I added some peppers to the tomato sauce because I wanted to use up some elderly peppers.
    The mozzarella is in the form of mini mozzarella balls. They are fun to squish.

> Heat the oven to 200 degrees
    > Start your tomato sauce.
    If this is a new thing for you, this is how I made mine.
    > Dice onion
    > Crush 2 garlic cloves then mince them.
    > Brown the garlic and onion together in some olive oil til the onion is transparent and the garlic is aromatic and everything smells delicious.
    > Add in the can of tomatoes and a splodge of tomato paste (If the can of tomatoes looks a bit on the watery side)
    > Crush a few basil leaves between your fingers, give them a sniff (mmmmm), add them to the pot along with some salt and a pinch of sugar.
    > Wait til it starts bubbling furiously, then turn it down til it is only bubbling in a slightly irritated manner.
    > Simmer until it reduces. Once it's thicker and tastes nice, it's done.
    RYzwKT6l.jpg
    Behold, the sauce.
    ...Hang on, I thought I'd escaped Chef Duck. After the booze incident last time, I fired him. D:

> Brown the chicken in a pan. Just cook it for a few minutes on each side til it is golden brown.
    > Put the chicken into an ovenproof dish, pour your sauce over it.
    > Shred or tear (or chop, I suppose) your mozzarella and put it on top of each breast of chicken. The chicken breasts probably won't be covered by the sauce so you'll need to protect it from the oven. It will need a cheesey blanket.

VmEwo8bl.jpg

> I put some more basil leaves on top at this point because I love basil.
    > Sprinkle the cheddar / parmesan over.
    > Put it into the over and bake it for about 20 minutes. Cooking time will vary wildly based on the size of your chicken breasts so keep an eye on it. Usually once the cheese gets to the golden brown stage, it's cooked through. It's worth poking the chicken with a skewer to be certain though.

pPwiNcEl.jpg
    And then eat it!

It's quite rich so you don't need much with it. Some nice bread is really good. I've tried pasta but it was quite strange.

I hope ye enjoy it and that my mid-convention-work-brain has made this a halfway coherent recipe!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

reallyrose wrote: »
    This is a bit of a rushed recipe, even though I was super prepared and took pictures of my adventures in cooking ages ago. I'm away from home at the moment. But here goes.
    This is a recipe for lazy Chicken Parmigiana, for when you want chicken with all the melty cheese and rich tomatey goodness but none of the beating things with a rolling pin and faffing about with breadcrumbs.

Ingredients:
    • Chicken breasts for all. I used 6 because we cook enough for dinner and then lunch the next day.
    • Mozzarella - 150g or so. (or as much cheese as you desire)
    • Fresh Basil (It's worth it)
    • Makings for a simple tomato sauce
      • Tin tomatoes
      • salt
      • onion
      • garlic
      • olive oil
    • Cheese to sprinkle on top. Parmesan would probably be best here. I used cheddar because I am broke. It was still really tasty.
    Ingredients assembled!
    PUX2w2Cl.jpg
    I added some peppers to the tomato sauce because I wanted to use up some elderly peppers.
    The mozzarella is in the form of mini mozzarella balls. They are fun to squish.

> Heat the oven to 200 degrees
    > Start your tomato sauce.
    If this is a new thing for you, this is how I made mine.
    > Dice onion
    > Crush 2 garlic cloves then mince them.
    > Brown the garlic and onion together in some olive oil til the onion is transparent and the garlic is aromatic and everything smells delicious.
    > Add in the can of tomatoes and a splodge of tomato paste (If the can of tomatoes looks a bit on the watery side)
    > Crush a few basil leaves between your fingers, give them a sniff (mmmmm), add them to the pot along with some salt and a pinch of sugar.
    > Wait til it starts bubbling furiously, then turn it down til it is only bubbling in a slightly irritated manner.
    > Simmer until it reduces. Once it's thicker and tastes nice, it's done.
    RYzwKT6l.jpg
    Behold, the sauce.
    ...Hang on, I thought I'd escaped Chef Duck. After the booze incident last time, I fired him. D:

> Brown the chicken in a pan. Just cook it for a few minutes on each side til it is golden brown.
    > Put the chicken into an ovenproof dish, pour your sauce over it.
    > Shred or tear (or chop, I suppose) your mozzarella and put it on top of each breast of chicken. The chicken breasts probably won't be covered by the sauce so you'll need to protect it from the oven. It will need a cheesey blanket.

VmEwo8bl.jpg

> I put some more basil leaves on top at this point because I love basil.
    > Sprinkle the cheddar / parmesan over.
    > Put it into the over and bake it for about 20 minutes. Cooking time will vary wildly based on the size of your chicken breasts so keep an eye on it. Usually once the cheese gets to the golden brown stage, it's cooked through. It's worth poking the chicken with a skewer to be certain though.

pPwiNcEl.jpg
    And then eat it!

It's quite rich so you don't need much with it. Some nice bread is really good. I've tried pasta but it was quite strange.

I hope ye enjoy it and that my mid-convention-work-brain has made this a halfway coherent recipe!

Where did u get your kitchen tiles if u don't mind me asking?! They are lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Next week's cooking club recipe: reallyrose's duck a l'orange

(Poor duck :()

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

audman wrote: »
    Where did u get your kitchen tiles if u don't mind me asking?! They are lovely.

It's a rented flat so I don't have a clue!
    Next week's cooking club recipe: reallyrose's duck a l'orange

(Poor duck :()

He knows what he did. D:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

This looks yum. I also like how the decapitation of the duck is captured in picture 3

Advertisement