Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dreadful hospital experience

Options
  • 27-06-2013 9:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭

How and to who would I make a complaint about treatment my son received in a hospital in France.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Initially, you'd probably make a complaint directly to the hospital itself.

There is an equivalent of HIQA on an internal local level in each hospital called la CRUQ or CRUQPC (La Commission des Relations avec les Usagers et de la Qualité de la Prise en Charge).

It comprises medical and non-medical representatives, patients rights representatives etc etc. The idea is that it's supposed to operate as an internal panel to investigate any problems and then it reports them up the line to the ARS.

Legally speaking, the director of the hospital has a set schedule during which he/she must put you in touch with a mediator to handle the complaint if it cannot be resolved to your satisfaction.

All the advice online seems to say to start by putting your complaint in writing (in French) and sending a registered letter to the director of the hospital.

After that, if you get nowhere it will be dealt with by the CRUQ directly via a local commissioner.

After that it will go to ARS (Agénce Regional de Santé) which is basically the local health board for each region. You'd need to google ARS+regional area you're looking at to get the website.

This article might help :
    http://www.hopital.fr/Hopitaux/Vos-droits/La-representation-des-usagers-et-le-respect-des-droits

Also this French Government website :
    http://www.sante.gouv.fr/vos-droits.html

I hope that's of help. They are usually pretty responsive about complaints and even feedback.

As for writing letters etc, you might need to get someone who knows how to write medical French. I'm not great at that stuff unfortunately.

Advertisement