Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's wrong with my video?

Options
  • 27-06-2013 7:59pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As it says on the tin really!

Brief bit of history -

Footage was shot in HD .MOV format. Converted to HD MPEG using WinX HD Video Converter for editing in Windows Movie Maker. Output file is .wmv and 23MB.

This file -

- was from a previous camera in .mod format. Edited the exact same way; output file is .wmv and 15MB. So you'd expect the top file to be markedly better quality, but instead, from where I'm sitting, it's markedly worse. The quality is better on the output .wmv file, but something goes wrong when it's uploaded to YouTube.

Any ideas what's happening there at all?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

i think with the second video you've used a different frame size, thats why theres black area all round, WMD probably isn't the best quality, maybe if you try MP4 it might improve things. Also remember the video will look different on various systems because it will default the quality settings to Auto which is usually 360P, the user has to manually press the little gear icon to change the quality.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Not worried about the size on the bottom video; that's the old camera that's being changed from. The point is the top camera is HD and the bottom one isn't, but the quality is the same if not worse. So on the top video (which is what I'm trying to improve), input file is mpeg (MP4 doesn't work for some reason)

What do you mean about the little gear icon? On the camera, the settings are 1280x720 HD. On Movie Maker, output is to 768x576 pixels, though my options for changing that are fairly limited, it seems.

As the video is playing - the gear icon on the youtube window (bottom right of window) lets you change the quality it defaults to 360p. Also youtube compresses the video you upload so making the quality a little less than on your computer.
    MP4 is the one for this, can you output in mov? youtube accepts mov files

Ah, I see. Never saw that before. It's on 480p now, but it can't go any higher. 720p I think would be similar to the saved output; can YouTube do that? Or is it the case that YouTube just can't cope with higher-definition videos? Is there a better hosting site for that, in that case? Vimeo maybe?

No, can't output in .mov afaik But everything I've seen so far points to YouTube being the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

cdeb wrote: »
    Ah, I see. Never saw that before. It's on 480p now, but it can't go any higher. 720p I think would be similar to the saved output; can YouTube do that? Or is it the case that YouTube just can't cope with higher-definition videos? Is there a better hosting site for that, in that case? Vimeo maybe?

No, can't output in .mov afaik But everything I've seen so far points to YouTube being the problem.

You tube upgraded. I had the same problem with my music video.Upload to vimeo and see if the results are the same.

• Advertisement

youtube will allow 1080P HD but when the video plays it will default to auto which can be as low as 360P which is very poor quality.
    I've some 1080 P vids on my channel but you have to adjust the quality before you'd notice any difference

Did not know that.

Anyways, on another forum, I was advised to change the converter as well. Add both of those solutions, and I get this -

- which I think is a bit better anyway.

Thanks all!

Advertisement