Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling lonely

Options
  • 27-06-2013 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Well as the title says I'm feeling lonely, recently moved to Cork city and I was enjoying it at the start but like I have no friends here and it's getting me really down. I hate just coming home from work and staying in all night every night with no where to go and no one to go anywhere with :(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Only solution is to go out and meet new people.

Find some hobby you can do with a group, find an LGBT group (there might be some info in the sticky threads), or just go out to a pub or club by yourself and get talking to people.

Are you in college or working?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 NewCityBoy

Working atm yeah, I'm such a shy guy though and find it hard

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MusicR

You should try and become close friends with your work colleagues to start with. If they ever go out to the local pubs or whatever you should ask them if you could join them, I'm sure they wouldn't mind at all. I've never been in Cork but there must be some groups you could join for different hobbies? Maybe you could help out with various associations and charity work, for example. That way you'd meet a lot of people while doing work for a good cause. I know this can be extremely tough if you are shy, but just go for it. Just imagine the happiness you'll have when you have a bunch of friends with who you can go out with and have fun with. Tell yourself that you're confident and that you want to meet new people. If you constantly repeat this to yourself, your brain will eventually believe it.

Overall, you must take the plunge and ignore your shyness. There is no need to be shy, people are usually accepting and will try and become friends with you if you let them. Don't worry too much about it, just get yourself out there and present yourself to be a fun, kind and loving person. I know it's far easier said than done, but just go for it. Remember the things that you'll regret in the future are not the things that you did, but the things that you didn't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭ewan whose army

I moved to Dublin last year, it was the first time I had moved away from my parents, and independent of them. I am from the UK so it was also a new country for me and I had just come out as gay a couple of months before hand so I felt lonely when I first moved over there.

What helped me is to go to a meetup at my local LGBT center, meet other gay guys etc. I made friends , I met who is now my Boyfriend at one of them, its hard to get out there at first but once you do it gets better. I go to the Front Lounge or The George sometimes if I am bored (my bf is away until middle of July) and chat to people and have some fun.

Yesterday I was reluctant to go to Pride alone, I decided to go with one of my bf's friends (he put him in touch with me) and I made some new friends yesterday. (Not all gay lol)

All I am saying it can be daunting at first to go out there and meet people, but it has done me the world of good to make some gay friends, they understand what it is like for us.

I went to a boards meetup a while back, it was kinda fun but sadly I have been busy on all the ones since, I wonder if they do them in Cork or not they really should they all seem to be Dublin

Advertisement