Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car stereo installation from Halfords

Options
  • 27-06-2013 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Got a stereo installed into my 06 VW Golf earlier today by halfords and when the installation was complete a fault appeared for the airbag, this is the first time this fault has appeared and only since the stereo was installed. From reading online this can be caused by removing/installing stereos in Golfs (certain steps have to be taken to ensure you don't mess with the airbag). I went back to the person who installed it and he couldn't figure it out but i also went to my VolksWagon dealer and they want me to bring my car in tomorrow and its going to at least cost €40 but could be more.

I'm just wondering would I have a case in getting Halfords to reimburse me the cost of getting it fixed since it was the installation of the stereo that has caused the fault.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Think under their T&C they carry no liability

12.2. Subject to clause 12.1:
    12.2.1. Halfords shall under no circumstances whatever be liable to the Customer, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, for any loss of profit, or any indirect or consequential loss arising under or in connection with the Contract; and
    12.2.2. Halfords total liability to the Customer in respect of all other losses arising under or in connection with the Contract, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, shall in no circumstances exceed 100% of the monies paid by the Customer to Halfords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

surely its a fault with the car - stereos are / should be easily movable and changeable. If by doing this a fault appears, then that's a design fault with the car and not the responsibility of halfords.

VW should fix the error free, or if it doesn't cause any issue, just wait til the next service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

Got it sorted today. The VW garage got rid of fault message, from what I gathered there was nothing wrong with the car. According to the garage, the person from halfords left the key in the ignition when removing the stereo which caused the fault to appear but there was nothing faulty in the car, VW just had to reset fault message or something along those lines. It cost €45 but gave halfords a call and they said they would refund me the €45 which they did earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That is very decent of Halfords, as it is clearly a car design fault. A bit rough VW charging for an error message reset. I had to have a reset with Opel a couple of years ago and they did it for nothing, with an apology saying it should not happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I got a parrot hands free kit installed one Saturday in Letterkenny.

Driving home, I noticed the left speaker on the radio wasn't working.

Drove back to the Letterkenny store on the Sunday, same guy was there and apologised profusely, and fixed it (each time took about 1.5 hrs btw).

Driving home (to Dublin) I noticed now the right speaker wasn't working.

I called into the Airside store and was told that they'd take a look at it, but the guy that handles those things wasn't in, could I come in on Friday?

I said sure. Came up at the allotted time on Friday, asked for your man, met by a blank stare and told "he's on holidays". The store manager checked the appointment book and found that sure enough, there I was. He called another store in coolock, they said they could take a look, drove out there, but the guy had just left the store for the day.

At this point,I started to become annoyed.

I rang the guy in Airside, he told me to come up the next week. Sure enough, the fitter was there, he took a look and said the guy in Letterkenny hadn't clicked it in properly, he fixed it and tested it.

he then brought me into the store and gave me 20 quid out of the till to cover my fuel, a ten euro gift voucher and a massive pack of AA batteries (I'd told him I had to go into the store to get some). It was annoying, but they were genuinely sorry and did do the right thing in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Think under their T&C they carry no liability

12.2. Subject to clause 12.1:
    12.2.1. Halfords shall under no circumstances whatever be liable to the Customer, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, for any loss of profit, or any indirect or consequential loss arising under or in connection with the Contract; and
    12.2.2. Halfords total liability to the Customer in respect of all other losses arising under or in connection with the Contract, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, shall in no circumstances exceed 100% of the monies paid by the Customer to Halfords.

Halfords can put a clause stating "you must surrender your first born child and right testicle" in it for all the legal power it has. Consumer rights trump any such makey-uppey "we bear no responsibility at all but are happy to take your money" clauses. They are in there as a deterrent.

If someone had caused damage to my car during the course of something I'd engaged them to do, you can be sure I wouldn't be put off by a bit of legalese from pursuing redress.

Advertisement