Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!! UCAS Personal statement

Options
  • 27-06-2013 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi

Im applying for BSc (Hons) paramedic practitioner (community emergency health) in Plyomuth University as it is one the best Paramedic courses in England, the reason why I am applying for one in England is because there isnt a paramedic course running through the CAO in Ireland I have only found out about the course in Plymouth there around the start of June and if I had known about this I would have applied months ago and it would have been done and dusted.

so just wondering if you could have a look at my personal statement (600 words 4000 characters max) and advise me on any changes worth changing this has to be done and submitted by Saturday night!! fml

I am applying for BSc (Hons) paramedic practitioner (community emergency health) as I always had a strong interest in the area because I like taking care of people and not seeing them in distress or in a traumatic situation. I believe I am calm in stressful situations but also a practical and systemic approach to situations and problem solving. I have come to a stage where I can no longer expand on my qualifications due to I am living in a small rural town and this is why I wish to apply for your reputable qualification at Plymouth as I have strong enthusiasm to study at your university. This course has appealed to me because I am fascinated by how paramedics work. For example the ability to treat a person in a traumatic situation like a car accident and to be able to help them in probably the most stressful time of their lives. I find myself reading about unfortunate traffic accidents on the news or reading about them on newspapers and the first thought that comes into my head is how the paramedic dealt with that situation.

The areas of the subject I am most interested in is the anatomy and physiology this is because I have a keen fascination for biology and on how the human body works and what happens if something goes wrong. I have some experience from a first aid point of view as I have been a member for various voluntary organisations such as the Irish Red Cross, Civil Defence, Scouting Ireland I also hold a pool lifeguard qualification all of which have given me a foundation for my main goal which is to have a paramedic qualification. For my leaving cert I was studying eight subjects. I have enjoyed studying these subjects as they are very interesting because they relate to what people are doing on a day to day basis. Subjects which have helped me with studying for my Leaving cert would be English and Link Modules mainly because with report writing, writing formal and informal letters with these they have helped me with Biology because I had to write lab reports into my lab book and with the skills that I learnt from link modules and English it was plane sailing.

Like I have said, I am a member of various voluntary organisations. The one I am most active in is the Red Cross this is because I get to talk to real paramedics which who advised me on the steps to take in becoming qualified. The training I get from being involved is given to us by paramedics so it gives us an insight on all the possible situations that these people go through and on how to deal with these as this comes in handy for when we go on duty. I also have a part time job as a barman I love my job because I get to meet all kinds of people even difficult customers which can sometimes be a handful. The skills I learned from my position are interpersonal, communication and people skills which will come in handy for the course I am applying for. If I am chosen to take part in the paramedic course I hope to become qualified in that area and work for the NHS or in Ireland the HSE which is my main goal but also I would love to keep working with the voluntary groups to educate and guide people who also want to become paramedics.

Thanks people :P

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Read it back to yourself out loud and you'll see a few words and phrases I think you meant to delete. Just double check the grammar and punctuation.
    The facts and statements in it seem fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmy5694

spurious wrote: »
    Read it back to yourself out loud and you'll see a few words and phrases I think you meant to delete. Just double check the grammar and punctuation.
    The facts and statements in it seem fine to me.

is learnt, learnt or learned?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You can use either in the context you have it.

Advertisement