Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how to get clear indicator lenses

Options
  • 27-06-2013 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

hello , i have a 1987 saab 900 flat front and i was on a forum and they said use colluse thinner on the amber part of lense but have it soaking now and no joy , does any one have any recommendations .
    1026216_10151691877267279_1535287569_o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pure white toothpaste can be good, Brasso also.
    Mask off the paint job just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Saabturbonut

worth a try ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Can't see how any of that will whiten the lens, the plastic is impregnated with the colour from the start. Now the orange bulbs CAN be whitened with cellulose thinner as it's only a thin film of orange on the glass bulb, but there's a danger the cellulose thinner will melt your lens :eek:

If you really want white lens then maybe these can help you

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Saab-900-Indicator-Light-Lense-1987-1993-/151064798884#ht_302wt_798

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Saabturbonut

ya seens that , they are for a slope front 900 and mines a flat , i got a pair of clears for my other 900 and its also a flat front ans they set me back €110 so not cheap , just wondering if i can do it on the cheap side

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

ya seens that , they are for a slope front 900 and mines a flat , i got a pair of clears for my other 900 and its also a flat front ans they set me back €110 so not cheap , just wondering if i can do it on the cheap side

Short answer , no. You can't turn orange plastic into clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

My bad, I thought you wanted to clean them.
    As said, you'll need to buy other ones. At least I can't think of anything that would turn orange lenses into clear.
    Also I like the orange lenses, keep it stock mate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Just a long shot but the Italian market required white indicators up to 19?? so early Italian market 900's MIGHT have clear lens :confused:
    Another clear lens possibility was cheap spurious lens from Thailand or China, they fade to white after a year in the sun :rolleyes:

Advertisement