Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Fx-6300

Options
  • 27-06-2013 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

I am getting an AMD FX-6300 alongside a Radeon hd 7870 graphics card for a budget build. This build is apparently able to run games such as Battlefield 3 at a smooth 60 fps but I was wondering if I need to overclock the cpu to get performance like this

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'd say you'll get a better answer in the battlefield forum tbh. People in there will have similar builds. Nice CPU choice btw. Looks like super value for money if you're dealing with well threaded stuff (which I'd assume most games are these days).

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheFlidKid

Khannie wrote: »
    I'd say you'll get a better answer in the battlefield forum tbh. People in there will have similar builds. Nice CPU choice btw. Looks like super value for money if you're dealing with well threaded stuff (which I'd assume most games are these days).
    Well its not just bf3 I was just saying it as an example as it is a quite difficult game to run

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It should be fine. I have the Phenom II X6 1055t with 2x 5770s and BF3 runs fine. I haven't ran it in ages though so I couldnt tell you the framerate or anything. Needless to say though I found it smooth and playable. The 6300 should offer you similar performance to the 1055t. the the 7870 is going to perform much better than my crossfire solution, so your framerate should be solid.

The only thing I can say about AMD, while I love it, is most developers spend their time optimizing their stuff for Intel CPUs for the most part. Won't cause me to go Intel though, they haven't proven they are any more ethical than they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Overheal wrote: »
    It should be fine. I have the Phenom II X6 1055t with 2x 5770s and BF3 runs fine. I haven't ran it in ages though so I couldnt tell you the framerate or anything. Needless to say though I found it smooth and playable. The 6300 should offer you similar performance to the 1055t. the the 7870 is going to perform much better than my crossfire solution, so your framerate should be solid.

The only thing I can say about AMD, while I love it, is most developers spend their time optimizing their stuff for Intel CPUs for the most part. Won't cause me to go Intel though, they haven't proven they are any more ethical than they used to be.

With the next gen consoles using 8 core AMD chips I reckon games developers will be leaning more towards AMD in the coming years.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭TheFlidKid

Overheal wrote: »

Thanks overheal that basically put my mind at ease 'cause if I had to overclock I would have to buy an aftermarket heat sink and would have gone over budget

• Advertisement
Advertisement