Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing Tor

Options
  • 27-06-2013 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am trying to install Tor browser in Ubuntu 12.04 and I have got to the stage of having it decompressed and have 5 folders and "start-tor-browser", however when I double click it Ubuntu defaults to a text editor instead of runing it. What should I use to run it....TIA John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Is it marked as executable? Try 'chmod +x' the file.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

degsie wrote: »
    Is it marked as executable? Try 'chmod +x' the file.
    Hi,
    Its listed as a program.I tried to run "~$ /Desktop/Tor chmod +x start-tor-browser" in the same directory as the program and it done nothing....it just went back to the folder I was in.It shows up in green when I run "ls" in the directory its in.
    John

Hi,
    "Then it did what it was supposed to"......which is??

I get "ls: cannot access /home/john/Desktop/tor/start-tor-browser: No such file or directory" I also tried it without the "Is" and checked that the file and directory do exist....and they do! I am pasting "ls -l ~/Desktop/tor/start-tor-browser" into a terminal and hitting return......in reply I get "ls: cannot access /home/john/Desktop/tor/start-tor-browser: No such file or directory"

Sorry for delay...had to go next door and got delayed. That WORKED perfectly, I now have Tor running fine in Linux.I must check over how ye did that,its prolly straight forward enough, but when yer a newbie, everything in Linux takes a bit of getting used to.Thanks a million for the help.
    John

• Advertisement

bedlam wrote: »
    Ideally you should be able to just double click the start-tor-browser rather than do it via the command line.
    Thanks for the help bedlam....its appreciated.Any idea why I cant run it by double clicking "start-tor-browser".TIA John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I tried Tor on various Linux distros. The only website that refused to connect was this one, but maybe that's my connection. All my other bookmarks worked ok though.

Advertisement