Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus promo code

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭john.han

Had a look there, still cheaper to go with other airline, most of the "fares" are about €6 so you save about €3 per flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

john.han wrote: »
    Had a look there, still cheaper to go with other airline, most of the "fares" are about €6 so you save about €3 per flight.

Are you comparing Heathrow fares to Stansted/Luton fares by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

MYOB wrote: »
    Why would anyone travelling to London want to sit on a stuffy tube for hours?
    [EDIT]Or spend €40 return to Paddington. Heathrow would certainly be well down my choice of airports for London.[/EDIT]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

yep 2.99 saved for me going out 28th sept coming back 3rd october. total 126.99 plus 14euro booking fee and baggage fee if applicable.
    amazing how they can actually make money on the flight if the total flight cost before taxes is only €2.99. am I missing something or is this common place with these offers that a flight for 2.99 actually ends up being 40times the price when taxes etc are added.

ballooba wrote: »
    Why would anyone travelling to London want to sit on a stuffy tube for hours?
    [EDIT]Or spend €40 return to Paddington. Heathrow would certainly be well down my choice of airports for London.[/EDIT]

STN/LTN have always been the worst to travel from in my experience, not used Southend yet though. Generally would go City/Gatwick/Heathrow in that order.

But regardless, you can't compare fares to a shed in the country / an emptying Norman Foster palace in suburbia to one of the busiest and hence dearest airports in the world.
    yep 2.99 saved for me going out 28th sept coming back 3rd october. total 126.99 plus 14euro booking fee and baggage fee if applicable.
    amazing how they can actually make money on the flight if the total flight cost before taxes is only €2.99. am I missing something or is this common place with these offers that a flight for 2.99 actually ends up being 40times the price when taxes etc are added.

UK APD - £13
    Irish air tax - €3

These apply to all Ireland to UK return trips. If your all in price is less than this, the airline is subsidising it and hoping to make its profit off bags/food/insurance/whatnot.

Then each airport has its own charges, sometimes waived for new airlines but for an established route they won't be. Heathrow's in particular are hideous - £28 per passenger at the moment; plus landing charges, parking charges, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

I went and entered the same dates in August both using this code and without using the code.

Total price without code was €463
    Total price with code was €451

The 50% off is very misleading

But regardless, you can't compare fares to a shed in the country / an emptying Norman Foster palace in suburbia to one of the busiest and hence dearest airports in the world.
    How are those pluses? And meanwhile an empty airport is a negative? The mind boggles.
    I went and entered the same dates in August both using this code and without using the code.

They announced a 20% off sale too this week, which only negated the 25%~ they jacked up the prices by the previous week. They're jokers surviving on consumer inertia.

Comparing heading for a weekend in August (friday to monday), aerlingus was €127 going to heathrow, Ryanair was €67 to gatwick and ryanair had a better selection of times for that fare. I'd personally find heathrow slightly more convenient, but not worth that difference in price.

ballooba wrote: »
    How are those pluses? And meanwhile an empty airport is a negative? The mind boggles.

I didn't say they were plusses, I said they are why you can't compare a fare to two completely different airports.

Just for balance, same dates to gatwick with Ryanair is €296

I know it's not Heathrow but it's much of a muchness for us

• Advertisement

Just for balance, same dates to gatwick with Ryanair is €296

I know it's not Heathrow but it's much of a muchness for us

And Aer Lingus to Gatwick? Only London route they directly compete on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Taking a quiet mid-week date in early October.
    this "Bargain" was twice the cost of Ryanair.

eg:
    Aer Lingus: 'Fare' was zero + Taxes of €123
    Ryanair: €65 all in.

Every time Aer Lingus.... lies upon lies!

I didn't say they were plusses, I said they are why you can't compare a fare to two completely different airports.
    Fare ;) enough.

And Aer Lingus to Gatwick? Only London route they directly compete on.

Good point. €367

I suppose my point is that a €12 saving on an approx €450 fare doesn't constitute 50% off. And whilst yes there is smallprint, it's still quite misleading

Good point. €367

I suppose my point is that a €12 saving on an approx €450 fare doesn't constitute 50% off. And whilst yes there is smallprint, it's still quite misleading

I'm looking at some other flights (heathrow to dublin), where the taxes and charges are around €70 some days with zero fare, but on other days the taxes and charges are about €40 with a fare of €6, how can these charges vary from day to day I wonder?

john.han wrote: »
    I'm looking at some other flights (heathrow to dublin), where the taxes and charges are around €70 some days with zero fare, but on other days the taxes and charges are about €40 with a fare of €6, how can these charges vary from day to day I wonder?

Heathrow has categoried landing charges that vary wildly, this may be a factor. Not actually sure.

Advertisement