Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

aria.co.uk is holding my graphics card and not returning my money...?

Options
  • 27-06-2013 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I ordered a graphics card from aria a few days ago and the day after they email me asking for anti fraud information which I cannot provide. They want a utility bill in my name when I am not the bill payer, a driving license when I dont drive and a bank statement when I used a 3v top up card to actually pay them.

I have requested a refund from the customer service email but they have yet to respond to me. Honestly I think this is bull**** seeing as I just handed over 200 euro to them and I'm not getting anything back.

Does anyone have any past expierence with them?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

TheOwl12 wrote: »
    I ordered a graphics card from aria a few days ago and the day after they email me asking for anti fraud information which I cannot provide. They want a utility bill in my name when I am not the bill payer, a driving license when I dont drive and a bank statement when I used a 3v top up card to actually pay them.

I have requested a refund from the customer service email but they have yet to respond to me. Honestly I think this is bull**** seeing as I just handed over 200 euro to them and I'm not getting anything back.

Does anyone have any past expierence with them?

Would they accept a passport scan? I know it sounds dodgy but I have had to do it before in the past, I'll move this to consumer issues where it's better suited

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭TheOwl12

Thanks. I couldn't find a suitable sub so I just went with the first one with some similarities in the topic

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Swords4

Contact the European Consumer Centre at www.eccireland.ie or phone 01 8797620.
    They deal with cross border consumer issues in the E.U.

UPDATE:

I have received an email from aria saying my order has been cancelled. Now I am only hoping they can refund me back through my 3v balance and that it will be soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Swords4 wrote: »
    Contact the European Consumer Centre at www.eccireland.ie or phone 01 8797620.
    They deal with cross border consumer issues in the E.U.

Bit of an over-reaction! It has only been a couple of days. Give them a chance to process the cancellation for goodness sake!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

These kind of measures are pretty standard anti-fraud measures. Give it a few days for the refund to be returned to your 3V card now that the order has been cancelled. If the funds are slow to return, contact your card provider to hurry it along.

Does anyone know if they would ask for these details again if I were to use paypal or google checkout? I would still like to buy the card and the only thing stopping me are those security details.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

Does anyone know if they would ask for these details again if I were to use paypal or google checkout? I would still like to buy the card and the only thing stopping me are those security details.

If you use paypal and your address is unverified they will most likely cancel it also.

By unverified do you mean that my address on my aria and my paypal are different, or is there a verifying process I am unaware of?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

there's an option in PayPal to verify your address. iirc they put a small charge on your card (€1), it shows up on your statement with a code, you enter that code back into PayPal, they refund the charge, verified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What graphics card was it, and which one was it?

Check HWV and see how it compares for prices. HWV accepts bank transfers, and lots of people from the tech section have bought from them. Personally, I've spent over €1500 at this stage from HWV, all paid by bank transfer, with no hassle. Maybe look into it if you get this sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

the_syco wrote: »
    Check HWV and see how it compares for prices. HWV accepts bank transfers, and lots of people from the tech section have bought from them. Personally, I've spent over €1500 at this stage from HWV, all paid by bank transfer, with no hassle. Maybe look into it if you get this sorted?

Unfortunately they have a standard delivery charge of €20, probably not worth it just for the graphics card. I find Amazon can be quite competitive though

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unfortunately they have a standard delivery charge of €20, probably not worth it just for the graphics card. I find Amazon can be quite competitive though
    I've found, even with this charge, I'd still save money over some Irish shops o.0

But yes, Amazon are great, and Parcel Motel should be used if the postal is more than €3.50, but the OP may come across the same problem as in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

By unverified do you mean that my address on my aria and my paypal are different, or is there a verifying process I am unaware of?

You'll need to link a credit/debit card to the paypal account. Paypal will put a small charge on the card and you'll find a code in the transaction reference on your statement. You enter this and it confirms the address for the card.

Edit: This works for 3v as well unless things have changed recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Galia

How about a scan of the visa paper slip provided when you top up? Would that not be not enough ?
    Will the company accept paypal ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I had that from a supplier before and just cancelled the order.

There's no way in hell that I would send a copy of a utility bill and my passport to some random company on the internet. It's got a huge potential for ID fraud and things like opening accounts in your name.

Once someone has photo ID + a utility bill, there are possibilities of taking out credit in your name and stuff. I'm not saying that's something that this company would do, I'm sure they're great, but it's a risk if you don't know who you're dealing with or how the data is stored or handled or by whom.

You can do an address verification through PayPal as described above and use that.

If that's not good enough for them, then just find another supplier.

They have to refund the credit card (3V Voucher in this case) if they're not supplying the item, otherwise get onto 3V and they can do a charge back. From their point of view, it's the same as refunding any Visa transaction.

If it goes beyond about 10 days, I'd get onto 3V.

Advertisement