Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD Academic Transcript vs Diploma Supplement

Options
  • 27-06-2013 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

I have just glanced at my official records and notice for the first time the following:
    Academic Transcript for Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) ==> the time difference between my 'Start Date' and 'Award Date' is 2 years and 2 months. This is the length between the submission of my first chapter, and the acceptance by the university of my post-viva minor corrections.

Diploma Supplement for Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) ==> the 'Official Length of Programme' corresponds with the longer time which it took me to complete the doctorate.

What is the difference between both? Which is the more important? And can I now say I did the PhD in 2 years and 2 months? (even though, on paper in one respect, it took me longer)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Why would you feel the need to misrepresent how long it took you?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Usually your PhD is from the date you began to the day you graduated. Some schools have a minimum number of terms for which a student needs to be registered in order to complete/be awarded a PhD. If you are being interviewed for a job by someone who knows this, it could get pretty awkward if they asked you to explain why you managed to complete your PhD is less than the minimum time.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

Even if they don't know, any diligent employer will look for gaps. If it took you 4 years and you say it took you 2 years and 2 months, you suddenly have nearly 2 unexplained years to account for.

Advertisement