Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing mini DV footage, best file type for export?

Options
  • 27-06-2013 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

I've been given 30 minutes of footage from a mini DV tape to put onto DVD.

Footage was taken on a Canon XM2 video camera.

It's possible that there is no editing to be done, but most likely I'll have to do a small amount of trimming. The final product will still be close on 30 minutes in length.

I'm wondering what file type/settings I should export it to for DVD in order to retain maximum video quality, while still managing to fit it on a standard 4.7GB DVD.

I have a MacBook Pro 15 inch 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7.
    I generally use iMovie HD [the old one from years ago] to edit.

Does anyone have any suggestions re: export?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

this came up recently, if your authoring a DVD use MPEG-2 thats the standard for creating DVDs.
    If your just burning files to a DVD to play in a computer, you can use whatever you want really.
    perhaps try export to MP4, is pretty good it will take HD 1920 x 1080 25 fps, should have lots of room with 30 mins of footage, after that try MPEG

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭R0C

Thanks for the advice. :)

I'm giving it a go now with mpeg4 as iMovie HD doesn't allow an export as mpeg2 unfortunately.

I have Toast 9 to burn to DVD, and I think that can create an mpeg2 output.

Advertisement