Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please!

Options
  • 26-06-2013 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right place but I wonder if anyone can offer advice. I'm in the final year of a PhD but for various reasons, I'm going to go over the time limit by 1-2 terms (probably). The student grant paid my fees until now but from September, I'm on my own. As I'm so close to finishing and broke, my supervisor said that I should try to take a leave of absence from the course and that he would continue to supervise me so I could keep working on the PhD and then just pay one terms worth of fees when I'm submitting but my question is, if I take a leave of absence for a term, will I be entitled to any social welfare payments? I have a part time job but it's not enough to live on and pay fees and if i get a full time job, there's no way i'll get it finished? Has anyone else taken a leave of absence from a PhD? Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It might be better to ask this in the postgrad forum. I think you would not get social welfare but Im not fully sure

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement