Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Windows needed or just new panes?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Hopefully someone can help. Our teak windows are 27 years old now and the full size of the window is 8 x 4 feet. The glass has fogged up inside the individual panes which are double glazed. Each window has 32 panes and we had a window/glass guy come round and he said he could replace the panes for 40E each or put in windows starting at 400E per window.

1. Does this sound correct?

2. Can the panes be replaced or should we take the window guys advice?

3. Anyone know the going rate for replacing windows like below in this size and design?

4. Any recommendations for glazers/window companies in Galway area?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

muchos04 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Hopefully someone can help. Our teak windows are 27 years old now and the full size of the window is 8 x 4 feet. The glass has fogged up inside the individual panes which are double glazed. Each window has 32 panes and we had a window/glass guy come round and he said he could replace the panes for 40E each or put in windows starting at 400E per window.

1. Does this sound correct?

2. Can the panes be replaced or should we take the window guys advice?

3. Anyone know the going rate for replacing windows like below in this size and design?

4. Any recommendations for glazers/window companies in Galway area?

Thanks

Hi,

from the photo, ( bit hard to tell ) but your windows upstairs, may not comply with the regulations for Fire Escape, so anyone upgrading them should ensure they comply, first.

40E sounds a bit harsh for each unit, especially as there are a LOT of them

400E sounds OK for replacement windows.

So it depends on the condition of the Teak Windows as to whether replacement units are worth the spend.

But check the openings for fire escape First

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭muchos04

Hi Thanks for this,

Each window has an side window and top window and both open easily with no problems.

Is there any grants from the Government for replacing windows. My folks are pensioners and live at this property i am referring to.

Thanks

Hi Thanks for this,

Each window has an side window and top window and both open easily with no problems.

Is there any grants from the Government for replacing windows. My folks are pensioners and live at this property i am referring to.

Thanks

No grants available, as far as I am aware, someone, might post the minimum opening sizes, for fire reg's, I don't have them to hand so you can check.

martinn123 wrote: »
    No grants available, as far as I am aware, someone, might post the minimum opening sizes, for fire reg's, I don't have them to hand so you can check.

Any recommendations for Glazers in Galway area?

Any recommendations for Glazers in Galway area?

Sorry, no, I am in North Co Dublin/Meath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Ron G

Try Greaney Glass in Carnmore

Ron G wrote: »
    Try Greaney Glass in Carnmore

Cheers Ron,
    Will do.

Thanks

Advertisement