Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I appeal fees rejection?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭

Hello, I recently made an application for a grant and received a rejection letter this week, as I have already received a grant for this level of course. My issue is that I originally dropped out of the course due to suffering from depression and anxiety which made it impossible for me to stay there. I attended the college psychiatric staff at the time and they were in fact the ones who diagnosed me. After leaving college I also spent a number of months on disability through the HSE.

I made my application this time on the basis that my situation might be considered an exceptional circumstance, and was really only applying for the fees portion.

I suppose my question is this: should I appeal the decision and send in all the relevant documents, such as a medical cert (I think I still have the one I received at the time) and statement from the college (or something to that effect), or should I just take it as a given that I won't be able to return to college? I did state my case in the additional comments box of the online form, but I was never asked for any documents so i''m not sure where to go from here

There is no way that I will be able to afford to pay the fees as unfortunately I am currently unemployed, and I wouldn't qualify for second chance student status as i'm a bit short of the 5 years required.

Thanks very much in advance for any and all help and advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi Indough,

Thank you for your query and the private mail prompt. :)

I would definitely advise you to appeal the decision. It is worth a shot to try especially if you need the funding so badly, what have you to lose.

Ensure the documents you send with the appeal form are copies as we can't be responsible for originals. You can find the appeals form through the following link: http://www.susi.ie/Appeals.aspx. The return address is: PO Box 12210, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.

If you have any other queries please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Thanks a million for the reply. I'm assuming that I should make the 'First Level of Appeal' as per the link?

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SuSi: Reps

Hi Indough,

Yes that is correct! This is the first stage of the appeal process. If they decide to refuse this appeal there is an option to appeal the appeal to an outside body. If this occurs you will be advised on the refusal letter where to do this.

If you need any further help just let me know.

Kind regards,
    Aoife,
    SuSi HelpDesk.

Advertisement