Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car registration address

Options
  • 26-06-2013 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone had encountered this situation or knew anything about possible avenues for rectification - if there are any. About 2 years ago we moved home, letting out the apartment that we owned. We changed addresses on everything we could think of - but forgot the car was registered to the apartment's address. Shortly after this we were apparently speeding (almost certainly me driving rather than my wife given the location) and so a fine was issued. The problem is that we didn't receive this notification, or any further notification. Our tenants rather helpfully gave us no letters, or told us anything had arrived. Presumably they were binned?! Anyway, when they subsequently left a few months ago, I was sorting out the apartment and there was a letter in the post box addressed to my wife. It turns out that apparently the fine was issued, not paid given that we didn't receive it. It was increased, went to court, which we obviously didn't turn up for - given that we'd never been notified - so we had lost and my wife (who's name it was in) was convicted. At this point we were told that if the court fine of 250euro wasn't paid immediately we'd face prison. We paid it instantly, but apparently there is now a court conviction against my wife. Is there anything we can do retrospectively? I don't mind the fine, and can live with that as a costly mistake for forgetting to update an address, but the permanent (are these actually permanent?) conviction on her record is particularly painful, particularly given that she requires garda clearance as part of her job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Having paid the fine you've more or less closed the case. Technically you could submit an application to extend the time for an appeal but in my opinion it wouldn't really be worth it - your wife isn't going to suffer any consequences as a result, unless she's employed as a driver and a squeaky-clean licence is a pre-requisite for her job.

While technically it is a 'conviction', it's only a speeding offence which is pretty low down the scale so I really don't think you should be worrying about it. Getting fined only €250 when she didn't turn up suggests that the judge didn't think it was serious either.

Advertisement