Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killer Mike's and El-P's RUN THE JEWELS out.

Options
  • 26-06-2013 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Cop it here . I'm only half-through but this is already shaping up to be album of the year so far, this bangs! Amazing production as expected, and the bars more than deliver. So, get downloading and discuss!

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just coming on to post that, looking forward to listening to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

On first listen it sounds very promising, but I wish El-P just stayed behind the boards.

I've never really been able to get into him, and half the time he just seems to be talking nonsense, but just in a dense and complicated rhyme pattern.

Killer Mike on the other hand is just a beast and a thoroughly compelling listen.

Still, if it turns out to be as good as R.A.P. music it will be worth putting up with El-P for.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I get what you're saying...I used to have pretty much the same critisism, but over time this style has grown on me, I think he can actually tell a compelling story (Christmas Fn Miracle), and sometimes I like his non-sense paranoid style, it's sort of like MC Ride, he gives an overall impression of feeling rather than specifics.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm the opposite of El-P, from the moment I first heard him on 8 Steps To Perfection many many many years ago, I was intrigued by him.

His evolution as an MC is also incredible, and how he is adapting his rapping style to his beats over the course of his albums has been nothing short of exceptional.

And his beats are ridiculously good, i love how he is recently throwing subtle old school noises into his production.

The ying and yang sound of having Mike on rapping duty compliments the beats and P perfectly.....this EP is ridiculously good.

• Advertisement

I guess the dream would have been a Mike and Big Boi collabo album over El-P beats.

El-P brings out the best in Mike and keeps him focused. There's no of the lower quality collabos with your Gucci Mane or Shawty Lo's or no wasted verses that are kindy just rapping about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

A killer mike and big boi collab would be out of this world, every guest spot killer mike is ever on with big boi is off the chain

I'd throw TI into the collabo mix, he sounds excellent on Big Beast.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'd throw TI into the collabo mix, he sounds excellent on Big Beast.

Yea, but give him control over beats and music direction and he'll make some syrupy **** with Pink or something.

Big Boi at least knows how to make a catchy tune without compromising sound and quality.

I reckon if control was taken away from T.I. and got some decent people around him, he could knock out some excellent music.

Listened to Run The Jewels a few more times at this stage. It getting better each time. I expected this to be leftovers from thier RAP Music sessions, but not at all, it's a leap forward from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Run the Jewels is an absolute monster!

Much like R.A.P. music, I seriously underestimated how great Run The Jewels was at first.

As I said I'm not generally a fan of El-P and it takes a while for my ear to acclimatise to his beats.

I've been listening to this on repeat for days, and Mike's flow seems to get better on each listen. I disliked it at first, but I've been listening to A Christmas ****ing Miracle four or five times in a row on each go around. Same with No Come Down.

Still not a massive fan of El-P's rhymes, but Mike is incredible on this.

Would love an R.A.P. II sometime, but as long as Mike is on El-P beats ill settle for anything.

Advertisement