Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flights Dublin - NY for €365round trip

Options
  • 26-06-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭

US Airways is offering flights from Dublin to New York City (LGA or EWR) for only €365 - round trip incl. taxes. You'll have a stopover on both ways in Charlotte or Philadelphia.
    Cheapest dates between Sept and Feb. See Skyscanner for more details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

2 Negative points
    US Airways are poor
    There is a stopover on what is normally a direct route and could take twice as long as a direct flight

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm seeing direct flights with American Airlines or €405. Surely it's worth 20 quid each way for a direct flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

I fly recently with US Airwayd to Philly and also home from Toronto via Philly. No individual in-flight entertainment is big drag...plus given the stop-over just to get to NY I'd happily pay the little extra personally

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭JackNow

I flew US Airways just three weeks ago stopping over in philly for €382 and i had no issues, all flights left and arrived on time. i know i would fly again for those prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

I'd give my right ball for flights at this price in August, gotta be over for a wedding on the 17th and haven't been seeing anything under €600

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'd give my right ball for flights at this price in August, gotta be over for a wedding on the 17th and haven't been seeing anything under €600

So you'd rather be down a testicle just to have an extra €200 in your pocket? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

soirish wrote: »
    US Airways is offering flights from Dublin to New York City (LGA or EWR) for only €365 - round trip incl. taxes. You'll have a stopover on both ways in Charlotte or Philadelphia.
    Cheapest dates between Sept and Feb. See Skyscanner for more details.

Thats fantastic.... As it happens we are heading over in Oct for a wedding... Thanks for the great thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Flew through Charlotte recently. Place is a joke. Spend a few quid more and fly direct to Newark. Found it on skyscanner for similar money direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭SJ.

Charlotte is one of my favourite airports - lovely central concourse with airy high ceiling and piano bar - also rocking chairs! This is a good deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Ardeehey wrote: »
    I fly recently with US Airwayd to Philly and also home from Toronto via Philly. No individual in-flight entertainment is big drag...plus given the stop-over just to get to NY I'd happily pay the little extra personally

Can also be a curse on AA & Delta TATL flights - though if the price is right, it shouldn't be a deal-breaker by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Ardeehey wrote: »
    No individual in-flight entertainment is big drag...

It's hit n miss with the planes.. I flew with them 4 times over two weeks, two planes had individual entertainment, the other 2 didn't.. U can usually find out beforehand with flight no's and checking details on seatguru etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

SJ. wrote: »
    Charlotte is one of my favourite airports - lovely central concourse with airy high ceiling and piano bar - also rocking chairs! This is a good deal.

I agree.... I ended up there for an unscheduled stop a few years ago after missing a flight home and it is the nicest airport that I have ever been in!

I have exactly the same memory as you... great rocking chairs and a dude playing the piano. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

ballooba wrote: »
    I'm seeing direct flights with American Airlines or €405. Surely it's worth 20 quid each way for a direct flight.

Link? Screenshot?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

US Airways are awful transatlantic.

My parents (in their 80s) recently had a horrible experience with them flying direct to Vegas from Gatwick. Flight was cancelled that evening and after standing about for 2.5 hours they were shuttled off to a hotel; they got a call later (1am) to say that the flight next day was also cancelled and that they should call reservations and rebook.

I managed to get them onto a Delta flight ex LHR and so the issue now was to get them from the hotel in Gatwick to LHR. US confirmed they would pay for this taxi transfer. Delta were great and upgraded them to Economy Plus (anything for a dig at US)

I complained once they arrived - after much calling customer service they were offered a $150 voucher towards their next flight on US, insulting frankly, I expected at the least a freebie flight or upgrade on their next US flight.

Finally, it took me an hour and a half and two levels of ground crew and three management levels of call centre customer support to have US very very very relectantly upgrade them to First on the way back as an apology. I expect an upgrade when an airline screws up, I should not have to beg.

The real kick in the balls was the fact that US Airways then denied all knowledge of agreeing to refund the taxi fare Gatwick to Heathrow after they had dumped my parents in the hotel, and ruined a family weekend in Vegas (my wife got 3 minutes time with them in Vegas before having to go to bed to catch a 4am flight)

Never again, especially for the 'rents.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Tallon wrote: »
    Link? Screenshot?

I used the skyscanner link and ran a search for Nov booked via Tripair and the flights add up to €404. Direct flights Dub-JFK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Word of warning tripair is based in Greece - may be worth slightly more to book with someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

just found NY for 378 from 31 Jan 14 - 4 Feb 14 with AA

Thanks OP!

Superbowl here we come!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

AA having a fare sale at the minute.
    Dub-Jfk direct €377 16/10-22/10

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Word of warning tripair is based in Greece - may be worth slightly more to book with someone else

Oh bum! hopefully they don't go bust before November then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Laneyh wrote: »
    Oh bum! hopefully they don't go bust before November then.

I used them successfully to fly from Barcelona to Bordeaux recently, my ticket was with Iberia. Once you get a confirmation email then your dealings with tripair are over, you can check the confirmation number on the airline's website and it should work, once that happens whether tripair go bust or not won't affect you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Laneyh wrote: »
    I used the skyscanner link and ran a search for Nov booked via Tripair and the flights add up to €404. Direct flights Dub-JFK
    Those flights are widely available on Kayak.com and are with American Airlines. You can book directly on AA.com.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Why would you buy those when you can go direct for slightly more :confused:
    http://www.aa.com/intl/ie/promo/sale.jsp

Besides I'm of the opinion these are normal prices to NY. Not really a bargain.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why would you buy those when you can go direct for slightly more :confused:
    http://www.aa.com/intl/ie/promo/sale.jsp

I guess you should put that to the folks who appear interested in the fare.

I'd imagine cost and personal preference are the two predominant factors. There may also be a difference in fare conditions that a mere price comparison won't show - stopovers, blackout dates, change fees etc.

The ITA matrix software is an excellent tool for determining what these variables may be.

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

On a tangential note, US & American are in advanced discussions to merge operations under the American banner.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/06/american-airlines-and-us-airways-integration-planning-teams-are-meeting-this-week-in-dallas-fort-worth.html/

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

United Airlines have the same deal, €378 direct into Newark from Dublin or Shannon, 20 mins by train to 34th Street..... I would take that over Charlotte and Philadelphia anyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

sinead81 wrote: »
    United Airlines have the same deal, €378 direct into Newark from Dublin or Shannon, 20 mins by train to 34th Street..... I would take that over Charlotte and Philadelphia anyday!

Now there's a relative bargain

sinead81 wrote: »

I've flown UA, DL & AA ex-Dublin this year & found United's product clearly eclipsed that of their competitors by some considerable margin.

Their fleet , crew, food & in-flight entertainment proving a cut above imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

Oh really? Interesting to know. I did hear that they are a far superior airline but haven't heard any feedback. Might just book this offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

MadsL wrote: »
    US Airways are awful transatlantic.
    I expect an upgrade when an airline screws up, I should not have to beg.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

:rolleyes:

Excuse me? Do you have something to say?

I have had several long-haul upgrades in my travelling career. Mostly because the airline screwed up. It should not involve pulling teeth.

Advertisement