Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about offering to help oul wans get started on the web

Options
  • 26-06-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Boys and girls, I'm looking for your advice.

If you didn't know your way around the web and saw someone offering to help you get started with web basics, would you be interested? I'm asking you guys because:

a) You're my peers!
    b) Oul wans and oul fellas would be my target market

Of course, there would be a small fee involved because I would need to cover my time and petrol, but what do you think? Is it a go-er as a part-time business or what?

All opinions gratefully received but, if you think I'm being totally stupid, please go easy on me :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

ok, firstly, I don't think you are being stupid, if you can do it and make money off it then that's called business acumen.........:eek: we have an entrepreneur in our midst!!! ;)

can I take you back a step?

how have you identified that there is a market for this service?
    If the market exists then you need to consider how you will get customers (cheaply? maybe via Linked in or Facebook or boards.ie etc)
    also what would be a reasonable fee to charge? (do it by the hour but in packages would be my choice, eg a 2 hour start up costing X, then a break down into a series of 10 hours divided into 2 hour segments
    That charge would also need to pay for your expenses of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Good idea, even at this stage I meet 'oulwans and 'oulfellas who are not very IT savvy and 'leave it to the son/daughter'. When you are doing your research, first check if there are courses for over 50's being given for free in your area, and there might be few I would think. That would attract your clients away from you, so you'd need to be aware of them.
    I was chatting to an 'oulwan in her seventies recently who did an introductory computer course (free) for over 50's. I asked how she was getting on and she said 'aw don't talk, I just can't get to grips with it'. Sometimes, it might just be the wrong teacher with the wrong student.

Go for it Molly, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Thanks for your replies guys, it's nice to know that I'm not going completely mad in my old-er age!

As for there being a market in my area, I live in a rural spot so I can only go by what the locals are saying. TBH, until I find my feet, it would be handier to keep it local. If that works, then I can start thinking bigger.

Advertising would be the key. To start with, I was thinking of putting a card up in the local shops, or even try and get a mention on the Church's newsletter, so I can see if there's any interest.

I wouldn't want to make it too advanced, just a really, REALLY basic "Getting To Know The Internet" kind of thing. Such as different browsers, setting up email, Skype, Facebook, taking the fear out of shopping online, etc. I don't want to get too bogged down with different software packages because I'm just not qualified. Obviously, if I was asked, then I'd do my best to help - after all, t'would be more pennies in my pocket :D

Charging is a sticky issue because I'm pretty rubbish at valuing myself. Because what I'm proposing is basic, I could cover it all in about an hour and maybe asking for €20 might not be too much? (This would include my expenses).

JB, I've noticed that a lot of the oulwans around here tend to leave it to the son/daughter too, so they would be my perfect customers!

I have to admit that I hadn't thought about there being free courses, so I'll check that out.

Gosh, what started off this morning as just a thought has turned into a monster but, for the first time in a long time, I'm thinking that have found meself something to do.

Thanks for your input and I'll definitely keep you posted.

start small is definitely the way to go, minimal investment from you, learn as you go and build a business based on a solid foundation. What you are proposing is all making sense so far. Go for it, see what happens.

Good luck and keep us informed (cos we're dead nosey that way ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Can't swear to this but I think some Councils offer free classes in local libraries for seniors.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

OldGoat wrote: »
    Can't swear to this but I think some Councils offer free classes in local libraries for seniors.

Don't start me on computers in local libraries :mad:

Mollywolly

Go for it.

OldGoat wrote: »

That might be the case, but I live about 15 miles outside Limerick where there are no libraries (one currently being built) so that might not be an option for some of the folks round here. I'm in the process of doing some investigating - move over Miss Marple :D

Gowan, gowan, gowan, gowan......GOWAN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

I think BBDBB has a good point about making it a series of sorts, or at least having a follow-up if necessary. It can be a huge learning curve at the start and takes a fair bit of time to become comfortable particularly for people who are new-ish to computers. What I've found with my own parents and others I've helped out is that they're grand when you're there but don't do so well on their own straight away. Online shopping in particular can be very different from one site to another, there are a few that my mother still can't manage on her own!

cuilteanna wrote: »
    I think BBDBB has a good point about making it a series of sorts, or at least having a follow-up if necessary. It can be a huge learning curve at the start and takes a fair bit of time to become comfortable particularly for people who are new-ish to computers. What I've found with my own parents and others I've helped out is that they're grand when you're there but don't do so well on their own straight away. Online shopping in particular can be very different from one site to another, there are a few that my mother still can't manage on her own!

I can see where you're coming from and I might just have to factor this into my business plan (woo hoo - get me :D ). It might be a case of me offering the basics for say €20/hour and then follow-ups at a discounted rate.

Does that seem like reasonable value?

BTW, I've checked around and there appears to be no organisations offering this kind of stuff locally. I'm kinda shocked that Age Action do offer a "Getting Started" course in Dublin, Galway and Cork, but not Limerick...but that's a whole new thread where I would have to get on me soapbox :eek:

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Gowan, gowan, gowan, gowan......GOWAN!

:D:D:D

Why not approach them to see if they will partner you or sponsor (ie with cash) what you are trying to do? Think about what they would consider important to the health & wellbeing of their membership, eg the skyping & social media for keeping in touch with family members. Using websites to research for hobbies and interests such as family tree research etc

BBDBB wrote: »
    Why not approach them to see if they will partner you or sponsor (ie with cash) what you are trying to do? Think about what they would consider important to the health & wellbeing of their membership, eg the skyping & social media for keeping in touch with family members. Using websites to research for hobbies and interests such as family tree research etc

That's a good point, the only thing that would prevent me is because they are a charity and are probably not in a position to provide financial help. I'd also be worried that they might pinch my idea :P

Its always going to be a risk, even after you start and especially if you get successful as it will indicate the demand is there.

Do your research, see whats currently offered in this line
    Start up and get some customers
    Then approach them with an attractive and mutually beneficial arrangement

Charities do have money, although there may be restrictions upon how it is spent,
    the support doesn't have to be financial, it could be a venue for bigger sessions, a wider target audience or simply an established name to "introduce" you to prospective clients

Thanks for that JB, pity I missed that one :(

I was looking on the City Enterprise Board site the other day and they have Start Your Own Business courses on offer too, but the County one seemed more up my street as it was geared to *ahem* my age group.

I'll have another browse at their site and see if they're doing any more courses like that.

There's a lorra, lorra lot of things to look into but I'll get there eventually.

Sorry Molly, my fault, didn't realise the info was out of date.

Don't worry JB, it's great that you managed to find the info and it gave me something to think about - or should I say "something ELSE to think about" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

OP, Sounds like a great idea. Go for it!

Being one of your potential market, I would humbly suggest that you minimise the almost obligatory technospeak of the IT industry and try to "communicate" with your clients, in THEIR language and at THEIR level.

Whenever I ask an IT nerd "how to" I invariably get "this is how the components work". If I wanted to change channel on my TV, I don't want a lecture about how the circuit reads and differentiates between various infra-red frequencies generated by the remote. "Which button do I use!?!"

Any chance of a simple, 1, 2, 3 on how to add photos, links, etc. to boards.ie? Take a look at boards "help" page for a jargon fest! When I asked about how to add quotes, a very polite and patient extraterrestrial told me about tags, nonparse tags and other irrelevant jargon. For me, adding quotes, photos, links etc. remains a "hit-or-miss / never the same way twice" process.

Not well, cranky, rant over, 10 4, over and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

A limerick enterprise 2 day course in Athlone? Not doing much for limerick are they.

• Advertisement

You are absolutely right Brens. Problem is, those 'extraterrestrials' do actually believe they are being helpful, and some of them just get irritated by non-teckie folk, think Sheldon Cooper in Big Bang Theory! On the other hand, although I am not clever enough to understand all the techno-jargon, and I try to explain simple computer basics to friends, they look at me as if I am an extraterrestrial! Y'see?!

BrensBenz wrote: »
    OP, Sounds like a great idea. Go for it!

Being one of your potential market, I would humbly suggest that you minimise the almost obligatory technospeak of the IT industry and try to "communicate" with your clients, in THEIR language and at THEIR level.

Whenever I ask an IT nerd "how to" I invariably get "this is how the components work". If I wanted to change channel on my TV, I don't want a lecture about how the circuit reads and differentiates between various infra-red frequencies generated by the remote. "Which button do I use!?!"

Any chance of a simple, 1, 2, 3 on how to add photos, links, etc. to boards.ie? Take a look at boards "help" page for a jargon fest! When I asked about how to add quotes, a very polite and patient extraterrestrial told me about tags, nonparse tags and other irrelevant jargon. For me, adding quotes, photos, links etc. remains a "hit-or-miss / never the same way twice process".

Not well, cranky, rant over, 10 4, over and out.
    You are absolutely right Brens. Problem is, those 'extraterrestrials' do actually believe they are being helpful, and some of them just get irritated by non-teckie folk, think Sheldon Cooper in Big Bang Theory! On the other hand, although I am not clever enough to understand all the techno-jargon, and I try to explain simple computer basics to friends, they look at me as if I am an extraterrestrial! Y'see?!

Ye Gods! I might know my way around t'internet and keyboard, but I've no idea of the technicalities of it all. I know how it all works, but I wouldn't be able to explain why it works, if you know what I mean.

Plain English would be the order of the day an if somebody asked me a techy question, I suppose I would point them in the direction of Boards :)

BTW I've got to say how much I appreciate everyone's support and encouragement, 'tis very humbling :o

Advertisement