Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone and unknown downloads of mobile data

Options
  • 26-06-2013 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

My husband on bill pay stopped getting bills just text notifications that his bill was x amount and he was paying direct debit. So he rang them up and asked for paper bills again, which has never received and as of that phone call no texts either, now as they were always 25-29 a month ish he presumed foolishly they were that. He got his first smart phone in Jan and doesnt use the internet, maybe 5 times since he got the phone. He got a bank statement yesterday and saw 51 euro to Vodafone on it and not being computer literate asked me to check it out why it was so high. It seems the every day since he got the phone he has been charged for data use, the phone mobile data was switched on and he was unaware this was happening until I checked online last night his usage. Now in Apr one night at 5am he was charged 105 euro plus vat for downloading 178 mb!!!!! Well talk of upset, he feels he has been done by Vodafone in BIG way. He hadn't a clue about mobile data on his phone and thought he was being frugal with it. Just checking what's the story with Vodafone now? Had he been getting his bills which he is set up for but hasnt received this would not have gone past January. What rights has he now as a consumer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do you want me to move this thread to the Talk to Vodafone forum to see if one of the reps there can assist?

It's best to try to talk to Vodafone first before seeking other routes.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

cowlick wrote: »
    My husband on bill pay stopped getting bills just text notifications that his bill was x amount and he was paying direct debit. So he rang them up and asked for paper bills again, which has never received and as of that phone call no texts either, now as they were always 25-29 a month ish he presumed foolishly they were that. He got his first smart phone in Jan and doesnt use the internet, maybe 5 times since he got the phone. He got a bank statement yesterday and saw 51 euro to Vodafone on it and not being computer literate asked me to check it out why it was so high. It seems the every day since he got the phone he has been charged for data use, the phone mobile data was switched on and he was unaware this was happening until I checked online last night his usage. Now in Apr one night at 5am he was charged 105 euro plus vat for downloading 178 mb!!!!! Well talk of upset, he feels he has been done by Vodafone in BIG way. He hadn't a clue about mobile data on his phone and thought he was being frugal with it. Just checking what's the story with Vodafone now? Had he been getting his bills which he is set up for but hasnt received this would not have gone past January. What rights has he now as a consumer?

This is typical smartphone usage apps will constantly be looking for updates and I would imagine the 105mb is an app or two downloading updates. Best thing to do is turn over your mobile data overnight and when its not needed as this will reduce the bills and you'll get longer our of each battery charge.

Advertisement