Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ManWomanMyth YouTube channel - crackpot or makes sense?

Options
  • 26-06-2013 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

I stumbled across a YouTube channel entitled ManWomanMyth. It has uploaded over 120 videos which deal with what it sees as anti-male bigotry in society, be it in unequal pay, child custody and so on.

I certainly don’t agree with some of what is said on this channel. That said, the uploader does make some interesting points, such as in this video.

What do people think? Is this a crackpot channel? Or is there some sense to it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I stumbled across a YouTube channel entitled ManWomanMyth. It has uploaded over 120 videos which deal with what it sees as anti-male bigotry in society, be it in unequal pay, child custody and so on.

I certainly don’t agree with some of what is said on this channel. That said, the uploader does make some interesting points, such as in this video.

What do people think? Is this a crackpot channel? Or is there some sense to it?

I have only see their video on domestic violence and nothing about it seemed crackpot to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Most of what appears in the video seems to me to be correct. I think gender stereotypes are to blame for a lot of this kind of behaviour.

Men are traditionally supposed to be the protectors, to be tough, hard, noncommunicative, gruff, unemotional beings who do what is necessary for them and their family to survive.

Women on the other hand are seen as more nurturing, kind, delicate, protective, emotional, the shining light in relationships (hence the expression 'my better half' - only ever used one way), the glue that holds families together and so on.

Rightly or wrongly, a huge amount of how we react today is based on these stereotypes. Now while a feminist movement was almost certainly required, given women were seen as being barely fit to leave the house at one point in time, the pendulum has swung too far now the other way and men are often portrayed as idiots.

And to protest against being labelled an idiot by a man would go against the above stereotypes, plus lead to idiotic phrases like 'man up' being thrown at the man in question. Both by women and (more importantly) other men. When something is so firmly wedged into the subconscious, it can be hard to go against it, no matter how ridiculous it seems on the face of it.

This leads to what I term a 'pedestal society,' where women are seen as being higher and more important in some ways than men. And it is the latter who suffer when they try to live up to these expectations, because in my experience the women do not like the being treated like a princess (on a regular basis I should add) approach, understandably preferring to be treated as a fellow human being and not a deity.

So in the video, based on these presumptions, one can see why men are dehumanised in a way, they are described as a profession and not a person. But women are mentioned as human beings.

Therefore I believe feminism is part of the problem, but one cannot forget either that men being far too content to accept the status quo as to how people should act is also a huge factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Woodward

I've watched a lot of his stuff. Most of what he says is quality but every once in a while he comes out with cringe worthy bs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Masciulism is much the same as feminism. You'll get those who are simply looking to highlight at reform present gender inequalities that disadvantage men (feminism does the same for women). You'll get those who seek to highlight areas that most of us would stop and go "hold on, that's not really sexism" - and thus would disagree with. And then you'll get the fringes that are genuinely misogynistic.

One of the things I've noticed is that self-identifying feminists often have little in common with other self-identifying feminists, or even mainstream feminism, for that matter. It's not unusual for someone who describes themselves as a feminist and oppose gender quotas, for example. Or to condemn the more militant, misindrist, fringes of the feminist movement.

However, they continue to support the feminist movement as a whole; they may disagree with some, but they'll still support those they disagree with as being overall under the same banner.

So, I'd suggest that men can follow that example; you may not agree with everything in that channel and even find some a bit over the top. However, they're still ultimately representing men and our interests, and thus deserve our support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

However, they continue to support the feminist movement as a whole; they may disagree with some, but they'll still support those they disagree with as being overall under the same banner.

So, I'd suggest that men can follow that example; you may not agree with everything in that channel and even find some a bit over the top. However, they're still ultimately representing men and our interests, and thus deserve our support.

I actually disagree with the above, because it's part of the biggest flaw in the feminist sphere.

I don't think any form of theory should have "under one banner" mentality. It severly cuts down debate, leads to generalizations, and can lead to a "them versus us" mentality. And the them versus us mentality can lead to a hive like mentality, eg: Sure if she/he disagrees with me, she's,he's a misandrist.

And, as much as I don't like this, Misogyny is seen as a more realistic and damaging name to be called than Misandrist. So, I think any Male Rights activists should avoid generalizations as much as possible.

• Advertisement

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    I actually disagree with the above, because it's part of the biggest flaw in the feminist sphere.
    Rationally, I agree. It makes very little sense how some self-identifying feminists will oppose the actions or beliefs of other feminists, yet bizarrely support them nonetheless.

Yet, it's been very effective as a political strategy. While debate and disagreements continue within the feminist movement, without there is typically a united front and this has been very beneficial to the movement's ends, overall.

It might end up leading to a hive-like mentality, but apparently that's what gets results.
    And, as much as I don't like this, Misogyny is seen as a more realistic and damaging name to be called than Misandrist. So, I think any Male Rights activists should avoid generalizations as much as possible.
    That makes no sense. You criticize such generalized banners, yet freely admit that those who employ such an approach are not seen as proponents of gender-hating as those who don't.

If something gets results, then that's Realpolitik, I'm afraid. You may disagree with it, find it philosophically offensive, but if so you need to decide what your priorities are. Do you want change, or are you happy whining on the Internet how there is no change?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

That makes no sense. You criticize such generalized banners, yet freely admit that those who employ such an approach are not seen as proponents of gender-hating as those who don't.

I do criticize them. But I also admit that they are there, and change will come quicker if you are not called a misogynist than if you are.
    Do you want change, or are you happy whining on the Internet how there is no change?

I want change, but I want change that will last. I want change that won't lead to a gender segregated approach, or a two steps forward one step back approach.

GalwayGuy2 wrote: »
    I do criticize them. But I also admit that they are there, and change will come quicker if you are not called a misogynist than if you are.
    The reality of the situation directly contradicts this belief of yours.
    I want change, but I want change that will last. I want change that won't lead to a gender segregated approach, or a two steps forward one step back approach.
    It's unfortunate, but that's already the case. Feminism already has adopted a gender segregated approach, with some lip service twoards equality thrown in. And in it's 'united front' approach, it's very successfully resulted in keeping everyone under the same banner, unwittingly supporting this gender segregated approach - or have you seen mass defections to a gender inclusive humanist movement recently?

I understand your concern, and in a perfect World - or at some point in the future - a gender inclusive approach may be possible. However, as things stand, that will simply not happen; this approach has failed and it's probably time men learn a few things from feminism, rather than flog that dead horse any further.

Advertisement